K5 Blazer 1969-1994
While this model ended its run, it is not uncommon to see them on the road or off, years after production end.
Platform: Truck, GMT 400

Stuck tailgate latch on '79 Jimmy

Search this Thread

Old November 9th, 2009, 8:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stuck tailgate latch on '79 Jimmy

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and I'm hoping someone can help!

I just got a 1979 GMC K5 Jimmy 4WD. While the window in the tailgate still rolls down fine (manual), the tailgate will not open. So I took off the panel to see what's up. The linkage looks good, all the pieces are there and connected, the handle is pushing down the actuator, the "window down" part of the latch is engaging, the latch mechanism the rods attach to just isn't moving. I removed one of the rods from the center part of the latch to try and narrow down where the binding might be, and pulling on the rod will not move the latch at the side of the tailgate. I put some visegrips on it and pulled pretty hard, and tried prying on the outer part where it grabs the hook on the side, it will not budge! Pulling the rod should release the latch, right, or is there something I'm missing??? Help please!
Old November 23rd, 2009, 5:33 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes pulling the rod should release the side your pulling... but.....make sure there is nothing binding, spray wd where you can and continue...damn blazers...you will have to hold it pulled on both ends in order to open