K5 Blazer 1969-1994
While this model ended its run, it is not uncommon to see them on the road or off, years after production end.
Platform: Truck, GMT 400

What to look for when buying a used K5..

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2011, 4:11 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile What to look for when buying a used K5..

Hi Folks, i'm currently looking to buy a 1984 K5 Blazer and would like to know some of the less obvious things to look for before plunking down my hard earned cash. The truck in question has never been lifted. The person selling it has only owned it for two weeks after buying it from a local dealer and says he has to sell it because he cannot afford the gas. The truck is lacking the interior carpet or headliner and seems to have some very dry gaskets around the windows. He, (as of yesterday) installed a new brake booster, a new breather on the 4 barrel carb and had the transmission pan gasket replaced because it was leaking. He also told me that the mechanic told him the steering gearing was going to need a replacement. I drove it and it ran nice albeit with a loose feel to the steering. He's asking 2000. My question is; what should I keep an eye out for with these old trucks? did he fix the things that are the usual suspects for breaking down? Are there some obvious signs of something malfunctioning that i'm missing or cannot see for a lack of knowledge?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
Old June 6th, 2011, 8:23 PM
CF Beginner

Check valve cover gaskets, head gaskets and oil pan gaskets for leaks. Also front differential, obviously check frame for rust or damage. listen for engine knock and if your from the east coast look out for RUST !
Old July 4th, 2011, 10:14 AM
CF Active Member

rust!! these things like to rust away to nothing. I didn't care about that when I bought mine and that was a mistake unless you like taking almost an entire year fixing it all.
Old November 27th, 2011, 12:28 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

again rust! at the footwells of the rear passenger compartment, and in the corners of the footwells, just get under it and just take a real good look at it
Old August 10th, 2012, 8:24 AM
CF Beginner

More/other rust areas to consider on the K5:
The lift gate posts both left and right.
The lift gate hinges and spring area.
Look for a metal rod between the bottom of the tailgate and the body above the bumper, that's is the spring.
These problems are not insurmountable. It just helps to know what you are getting yourself into.
Old September 13th, 2012, 12:33 PM
CF Beginner

I have a similar concern as I'm looking for a '69-'72 K5. Other than rust, are there any other issues I should be on the lookout for? Thanks