K5 Blazer 1969-1994
While this model ended its run, it is not uncommon to see them on the road or off, years after production end.
Platform: Truck, GMT 400

Wiper Arm Replacement

Search this Thread

Old July 10th, 2018, 12:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiper Arm Replacement

Hi - I have a 1972 K-5 with factory wiper arms. The Driver's side appears to be worn enough to warrant replacement (wiper blade "turns over" on straight mount, making for no moisture removal and potential to scratch windshield). I know there are replacements, but wondering if anyone knows if there are replacements of the more modern "hook slot" variety...if so, may I ask you to point me in the direction of finding them? MANY THANKS!!!

Last edited by BudMan695; July 10th, 2018 at 12:47 PM.
Old July 10th, 2018, 1:40 PM
CF Monarch

Received 336 Likes on 317 Posts

Most of the wipers today come with adapters to fit any type of mount.
Old July 10th, 2018, 2:04 PM
CF Beginner

Yeah...my thought was, if the bayonet mount wiper arm is worn enough to be ineffective, perhaps I could change out the arm to the Hook Slot variety and never have to worry about it again. To be reasonable, if I were to merely change out the existing and worn bayonet arm, I doubt there will be continued issues - just wondered if there were new solutions that would mount to the existing/stock splined shaft.
Old July 10th, 2018, 2:51 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

As old chevy says, you can replace the whole thing. If you have an O'Riellys parts store, they still carry the old style blades.
Old July 11th, 2018, 6:12 AM
CF Beginner

I appreciate it guys - I looked at a couple youtube videos regarding replacing wiper arms (NOT wiper blades...I'm ignorant, but not THAT ignorant...) on 1972 GM trucks - got enough out of 'em to locate the locking clips on both sides, remove them, then remove the arms from the splined shafts. Ordered new ones (bayonet type blade interfaces) from Classic Industries, should be here tomorrow...will get the appropriately-sized bayonet-style blades and have it all replaced probably by tomorrow evening. Still wish I could have found wiper arms that have a Hook Slot interface to the blades...but this replacement will probably outlast my lifetime.