Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

01 Malibu No Start

Search this Thread

Old September 23rd, 2007, 3:15 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 Malibu No Start

Ok I have the same problem that many here have had and I feel, after reading many of these posts that the intermittent starting problem must be due to the "Passlock" system. However neither I or my dealerhave been able to decipher what the fix is. If I have missed something please straighten me out, but does anyone know what can be done about this starting problem.

I too have been supporting my dealership with hundreds of dollars with no results. They have replaced the ignition switch, but I was able to keep my same key which I guess does not come into play on the later Chevies, and has taken out the remote start system. Again this has not fixed the starting problem. They have had the dash apart looking for loose wiring but no luck.

When it refuses to start all the dash lights go out except the security light. Then if I wait for a few minutes, apparently it is 10 minutes, it, most of the time, will start.

Now the other day it quit while I was on the road which poses amajor SAFETY risk.

Please help, Dave
Old September 24th, 2007, 9:39 AM
CF Pro Member

Default RE: 01 Malibu No Start

A basic description to the Passlock11 system.

A magnet on the cylinder assembly rotates past a sensor on the outer cylinder housingthat has a specific resistance valuewhich is unique to your vehicle only. The BCM ( Body Control Module ) supplies a voltage to this sensor and the return voltage back to the BCM and is programmed to learn this specific value. If the correct ( learned ) voltage is received by the BCM it sends a data signal to the engine computer to crank the vehicle and allows the fuel pump to operate allowing for fuel injection.
There is also a second sensor on the housing called a Tamper sensor which sends a signal to the BCM if the cylinder is brokenand turned too far.

The 10 minute wait time is a programmed " time out " if the wrong voltage is received by the BCM.

The sensors arecontained in the outer ignition switch assembly and likely what was replaced. The reason you are able to keep the same key is ...the key itself has nothing to do with the security system and they didn't replace the internal tumbler cylinder assembly.
When they replaced the ignition switch the resistance value has changed they would have had to reprogram the BCM to learn the new voltage value.

Unless the magnetof the inner cylinder is faulty then likely there isbad electrical connections or the BCM itself.
Old September 24th, 2007, 1:18 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had a equinox do the same thing it was the BCM....if BCM means body control module in this case.....

died 3 times on its own accord, and intermittent starting issues, same all lights go out and nothing......
Old September 24th, 2007, 1:19 PM
CF Pro Member

had an Equinox do the same thing...it was the BCM.....swapped it out and all is good now..died 3 teims on the highway for no reason, and intermittent starts.
Old September 24th, 2007, 1:19 PM
CF Pro Member

had an Equinox do the same thing...it was the BCM.....swapped it out and all is good now..died 3 teims on the highway for no reason, and intermittent starts.
Old September 24th, 2007, 1:20 PM
CF Pro Member

Old September 25th, 2007, 8:15 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for your help guys...It's back to the dealer.

Later, Dave