Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

04 malibu keyless entry programming?

Search this Thread

Old June 15th, 2009, 9:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 malibu keyless entry programming?

Hey all---
Recently my one working keyless entry remote broke. Seems that the piece holding the battery in came un-attached from the little green board inside the remote. (Pardon my use of silly terms to describe things)

And, after that, the key stopped working to unlock the door. It won't go in all the way or turn the lock at all. Not sure whats up with that, but will settle for a working keyless entry just so i can unlock/lock my car! Getting in thru the trunk is exhausting, though amusing to passersby. ..

So, my question is:
If i buy a a keyless entry remote off of ebay, can I program it myself? I have found some instructions on here and on the web, but other places have said that for this particular remote you have to take it to the dealership to be programmed. My local dealership isnt known for being very courteous so I'm sure they would take joy in charging me an arm and a leg to program it....

And, secondly, is there any reason that this wouldnt fix the problem since the key-unlock seems to be broken??

Trying to avoid a costy bill from the dealership-
Thanks in advance,

Elysia

Chevy Malibu 2004
the number on the back of my keyless entry is: 22733523
Old June 16th, 2009, 11:10 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do what I did, just solder it back together again. Mine still worked, after 2 months, then I traded it.
Old June 16th, 2009, 5:08 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

sorry bud....you must program them using a Tech2. When you get it done, make sure all remote are present.

Important: All transmitters that are to be recognized by the remote control door lock receiver (RCDLR) must be programmed in a single programming sequence. If the system is placed in program mode, all previously programmed transmitters will be erased upon receipt of the programming signal from the first transmitter.
Up to 4 transmitters can be programmed. Do not operate or program the transmitters in the vicinity of other vehicles that are in the keyless entry program mode. This prevents the programming of the transmitters to the incorrect vehicle. The order in which the transmitters are programmed is important. The first transmitter programmed will be transmitter #1, and the second transmitter programmed will be transmitter #2. Use care to program the transmitters correctly.

The scan tool must stay connected until all of the transmitters are programmed. All doors must be closed to perform this function.
Old June 17th, 2009, 7:18 PM
CF Beginner

Bummer. Thank you for the good info, shawnvw. I saw instructions on how to program the key transmitter and someone said that if it was before 2005 it would work. Guess not.

sls, I don't have a soldering iron or have annyyyy idea how to use one if I did, lol. My training in graphic design didn't prepare me for such life challenges--heh But I have been asking around if anyone has one/knows what to do with one--who knows if that would even fix it. (Did that happen to yours and you fixed it that way???)

If anyone has any idea why the key wont turn in the lock any more I would be interested to hear.Don't have money or time to get that fixed for now but would be curious to know!

Thank you both again for the responses.
Old June 18th, 2009, 10:29 AM
CF Junior Member

Yes I did fix my 04 Malibu remote, that seems to be a poor design. I forget everyone is not a DIY' er like me. But a lot of people read the posts, so it might help someone else.
Old June 18th, 2009, 8:21 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

If you have always used your key fobs to enter the vehicle, the lock cylinders are probably seized from not being used. Get some WD-40 and squirt it in there and try to work it free. If its really seized, let it soak for a day and try it again
Old June 19th, 2009, 8:43 AM
CF Beginner

slls, I found someone (an electrical engineer) who soldered my key fobs back together and now they work! Yay!

I already tried putting some WD-40 in there, but maybe I'll try again and let it soak.

Thanks everyone...!
Old June 19th, 2009, 10:05 AM
CF Junior Member

Smile

Glad to help, saves lots of money.