Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

04 Malibu Maxx sudden hard shift?

Search this Thread

Old February 21st, 2010, 10:13 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 Malibu Maxx sudden hard shift?

Hi guys... first post and thanks in advance for any ideas/help!

I have an 04 Malibu Maxx LS V6 with 94,000 miles. Yesterday I had driven here and there in the morning (apx. 25 miles). Heading back home I stopped at a stop sign near my home, started up the hill, and noticed a hard (sort of jarring) shift from 1st to 2nd. At first I thought maybe I had hit a bump/pothole so I stopped again... started again and same hard shift. Even shifted harder than normal 2nd to 3rd and so on. I took it easy until I got home (couple of blocks). When I parked in my driveway, while stopped, brake depressed... I shifted into park, then back to drive... hard... from D to R... hard again.
Shut everything off, got my floor jack out, and got under to see if anything looked out of sorts. Spun the front tires gently... nothing strange. No leaks, nothing. Fluid level looked to be okay (as you know its different on this car).
Got back in, drove around the block or two... perfectly smooth! Any idea what might have created this intermittent situation?? I had the trans serviced at about 50,000, and I know its near due again... could this be why?
Old February 21st, 2010, 10:36 AM
CF Active Member

This problem is not new with the GM hydramatic 4 speed transmission. I had the same problem with my impala 2003 and I ended up changing the car for this. The problem is related to solenoids and it is causing a problem of hick up when you start from a stop. Also if this happens sometimes the transmission will shift to high pressure mode and you will notice quick hard shifting on all the gears. By shutting off the engine and restart it will fix the problem until the same problem happens again. If not repaired you will end up to the garage . This problems happens on high millages like yours. Mine had about the same millage when it all started.

Last edited by capucine; February 21st, 2010 at 10:38 AM. Reason: orthograft
Old February 22nd, 2010, 8:27 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by capucine
If not repaired you will end up to the garage .
Any info on what the repair entails... cost, etc.?
thanks
Old February 22nd, 2010, 7:17 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by coltrane
Fluid level looked to be okay (as you know its different on this car).
? Not sure how you looked at the fluid level, as the trans is sealed on that vehicle.
Old February 22nd, 2010, 8:07 PM
CF Junior Member

my s10 with a 4l60e does this all the time when i drive a long ways an the tranny gets pretty warm but driving 25miles i have no clue
Old February 22nd, 2010, 10:30 PM
CF Beginner

I just opened the red cap and shined a light down in... could see what looked to be sufficient level of fluid.
Old February 25th, 2010, 8:24 AM
CF Active Member

a transmission repair for these problems will cost you aprx 3000$ . The transmission has to be removed from the car and you will probably end up with more items to replace than the solenoids.

Last edited by capucine; February 25th, 2010 at 8:28 AM. Reason: to add more things