Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

05 Malibu Wont Switch Thru Low Gears

Search this Thread

Old February 11th, 2008, 11:37 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 Malibu Wont Switch Thru Low Gears

Hello,

I am new here! I was wondering if any one knows what might be Wrong with myMalibu. When I first bought it everything was fine, butin the last month or so I can switchthru the Low Gears(From 1-2-3). When I shift Into the L detent it will only stay in L3 No Matter if I press the "+" or "-" buttons. Every Other Gear Works Fine. Any Solutions?
Old July 14th, 2010, 12:09 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is an old thread but I'll post in case someone searches this problem.
The +/- shift button on my '05 Maxx didn't work either. I lifted the center console up and found 2 wires (pink and yellow) encased in a black rubber sheath running along the driver's side of the shifter. These wires and others under the console are run very tightly around the shifter mechanism. The sheath had a separation in it to the left of the shifter and the pink wire was broken. I spliced in a 2" length of wire and the shifter works fine. It seems this is a common spot to find that wire or the yellow wire broken.