Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

06 Malibu Maxx ABS BRAKE TCS lights

Search this Thread

Old July 8th, 2006, 12:25 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 Malibu Maxx ABS BRAKE TCS lights

Greetings people, I'm posting this for my mother, she just picked a Malibu Max up yesterday and is already having trouble with it. I know it is still covered under the warranty but I would like to give her an idea of what might be up with it. The problem is that a while into driving 3 lights will come on with a chime on the console, the ABS, TCS and BRAKE lights. This vehicle has under 100 miles on it I did check the brake fluid level and it is where it should be. I even tried pushing the TCS button after all three lights came on but that wouldn't reactivate the TCS. The car seemed to operate normally after the lights came on but due to the nature of the systems that are possibly involved we stopped as soon as possible, 1.5 mile the first time and 20 feet the second time. After the car is shut off and restarted the lights do go out but will come back after some driving.

Any clues would be greatly appreciated and it will be going back to the dealer to be serviced monday since they are closed over the weekend. I'm hoping to put my mom's mind to rest over this as it sounds like she is starting to regret going with this car, so again any help would be great.
Thank you for your time,
Evan
Old June 27th, 2007, 11:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 06 Malibu Maxx ABS BRAKE TCS lights

Hi Evan,
I have an 06 Malibu Maxx, and had the same problem with the traction control light, but not the ABS and brakes. With ours, the steering wheel would lock up on us, and create a very unsafe scenario. We had it serviced and they told us the alternator needed replaced. We haven't had problems with that area since, but this past Monday, my airbag lights came on and wouldn't turn off. The manual said this means that the airbag system is faulty, and needs to be serviced right away. I was 45 minutes from the dealership that does the work for us. The manual also said that the airbags could deploy without the event of a crash, resulting in extremley unsafe driving conditions. I'm missing my old Saturn Vue quite a bit these days. These are pretty big saftey concerns with this model, I'm wonndering if there are more people with problems like ours? Thankfully it's still under warranty.
Linda