Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

1998 Malibu Brake Issue

Search this Thread

Old February 19th, 2018, 8:52 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Malibu Brake Issue

Hello all,

I got a 98 Chevy Malibu LS about 2 months ago. I replaced the calipers, rotors, brakes, rear drum brakes and replaced the tires. I bled each brake multiple times.

The pedal has no pressure in it. Only when I pump it is when the brakes will function properly. But I noticed the driver side brakes are sticking. After 2 months of normal driving, the brakes were completely destroyed on the driver side only. The passenger side is still fresh. I now replaced the driver caliper again and it still is sticking. I can’t seem to figure out what’s going on and it is driving me crazy. I’m afraid of destroying the new rotors and brakes...

if anyone has any thoughts throw them out there. I’ve been planning on using a vacuum to get all the air out completely. Thought about even replacing the master cylinder.
Old February 19th, 2018, 10:44 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by John Papaleo
Hello all,

I got a 98 Chevy Malibu LS about 2 months ago. I replaced the calipers, rotors, brakes, rear drum brakes and replaced the tires. I bled each brake multiple times.

The pedal has no pressure in it. Only when I pump it is when the brakes will function properly. But I noticed the driver side brakes are sticking. After 2 months of normal driving, the brakes were completely destroyed on the driver side only. The passenger side is still fresh. I now replaced the driver caliper again and it still is sticking. I can’t seem to figure out what’s going on and it is driving me crazy. I’m afraid of destroying the new rotors and brakes...

if anyone has any thoughts throw them out there. I’ve been planning on using a vacuum to get all the air out completely. Thought about even replacing the master cylinder.
Getting a new master cylinder isn't a bad idea on a 20 year old car. I would definitely be getting all the air and old brake fluid out.

Last edited by oilcanhenry; February 23rd, 2018 at 10:44 PM.