Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

1999 Chevy Malibu 2.4l IDLE ISSUES AND CAR SHAKING

Search this Thread

Old October 11th, 2021, 11:13 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 1999 Chevy Malibu 2.4l IDLE ISSUES AND CAR SHAKING

Hey guys. New to this forum so forgive me if anything posted is out of order, etc.

Anyways, like the title states I have a 99' Malibu with a 2.4L 4 cylinder. Car has about 88k miles. So the issue I'm having is that the car has trouble taking off and starts sputtering/losing power when giving acceleration from a stop. When in park the engine idles around 800 to 900 rpms, and you can feel a noticeable shake/stutter in the engine. When revved over 1100 rpms the shaking goes away and sounds/feels normal. When removing gas and letting drop back down to idle, it repeats said issue. It also does the same thing when out driving. Will drive fine at higher speeds, but anytime I go from a stop to acceleration, it bogs down and shakes and has trouble climbing in rpms till about 1200, where it appears to just switch to normal operation. I have a Foxwell NT301 OBDII scanner I picked up on Amazon. It's lower end but has always worked well. Upon hooking it up, it shows no error codes whatsoever. I run it through the I/M test and it says that everything appears to be working good. No CEL, no other indicators on the dash showing something may be wrong. I started with replacing all 4 plugs and boots, and same issue. Then went ahead and replaced the IAC valve as well, and same issue. I'm assuming its some kind of misfire or fuel related issue. Don't have the money to take to the mechanic at the moment, but also don't have the money to continue dumping parts into it. Was wondering if anyone would have any advice or can offer any solutions with similar problems they have had. Or maybe some advice for any kind of test to run on my scanner. Can also post stats of the live test on the scanner if need be. Appreciate any and all feedback!!