Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2000 Malibu LS loses power after warming up

Search this Thread

Old June 9th, 2012, 3:26 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by AgentM
kevinkpk...thanks big time! I'm going to work on that tomorrow. I can see the intake and where the MAF should be, as you described. Thanks and I look forward to fixing this annoying problem!
Not saying thats the fix, just a suggestion. Repost either way if it works or not. That helps with others having issues.
Old June 9th, 2012, 3:35 PM
CF Monarch

When you clean the MAF, the sensors (pitot tubes) are on the backsidde (toward engine) do both sides, and use MAF cleaner. I use CRC because it is available, but do use an approved maf cleaner.
Old June 10th, 2012, 12:33 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay. I think I am going to get some Seafoam (to clean the carbon out) as well (the one you can spray into the intake) and do that at the same time. The dealership already did it once, but maybe it needs to be done again. Then, I will clean the MAF while I have the same general section all apart. It's looking like tomorrow will be the big day as I have to make a trip to Autozone to get all the stuff. Thanks!
Old July 13th, 2012, 6:31 PM
CF Beginner

Wanted to check back in. After talking to the dealer, they decided that I should replace the temp.sensor as the car has the most problems after heating up. However, that has not changed a thing! I wanted to ask if anyone thinks the loss of power has anything to do with the other symptoms...10 miles per gallon gas, slightly overheating, and fan doesn't blow well on 1st and 2nd settings. I have not cleaned the MAF yet!
Old July 13th, 2012, 7:22 PM
CF Monarch

The dealer might be onto something. I think that sensor is on the radiator? I had an issue with one on my Mazda, either way both easy, and not too exspensive.
Old July 17th, 2012, 7:41 PM
CF Beginner

Still no change, even with the new temperature sensor. I am going to add more antifreeze, as it is down a couple inches from the fill line. The guy at Autozone said it was fine, but maybe I should try adding some anyway as the car overheats some. The next thing to work on is the blower motor resistor, and the MAF.
Old September 13th, 2012, 7:04 AM
CF Beginner

Did this fix your problem? If not, what was the problem. I have a 2000 malibu that has the same problem. Last Friday, I had been driving all day and I stopped to get gas. 3 mile down the road, My car lost power. It is like it suddenly is NOT getting any gas. No lights are coming on. I can restart it and drive off. But, it will die again within 3 to 5 miles.

my mechanic is more frustrated than I am.
Old September 19th, 2012, 9:35 PM
CF Beginner

No, I still have the problem with the car. I have narrowed it down to either spark plugs or a continuing water in the gas problem. It is very annoying! It doesn't die, but hesitates and surges and doesn't have the right amount of power, especially in drive. Good luck...hope you find the cure!
Old September 25th, 2012, 4:38 PM
CF Beginner

I am interested in this post also my daughter has a 2004 malibu it has a 3.5 engine. She was getting a code 335 which is the crank position sensor, I replaced the sensor with a new one and as I did a test drive it died. I had driven about 5 mile and I put it in neutral turned of the key and it stated back up after I turn the key on. I then died as it was idling but it started back up, no codes this this time.
Old September 26th, 2012, 6:59 AM
CF Beginner

I had to replace the computer. It works great now.

Quick Reply: 2000 Malibu LS loses power after warming up