Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2000 Malibu Starts and Dies and more

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2011, 8:40 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Malibu Starts and Dies and more

I have a 2000 malibu that is giving me fits. The dome light, trunk button, and key chain pad stopped working and it starts idles up and dies. If i trickle fuel into the intake, it will run, so the fuel is getting shut off. I have plenty of pump pressure, oil pressure and fuel. Oh yeah, I put four gallons of gas in it and the gas gauge won't show it. All my fuzes are good and I have done the passlock relearn thing about a dozen times.....any ideas?
Old May 4th, 2011, 10:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forum. It's hard to say without scanning the BCM for trouble codes but your starting problem does sound like a Passlock problem. When you say you "have done the passlock relearn thing about a dozen times," what exactly did you do and see? What does the THEFT SYSTEM indicator currently do with the key on?
Old May 5th, 2011, 11:49 AM
CF Beginner

Well, I tuned the key to "On" waited 15 minutes and then turned it off and tried to start it. I also did it a few times without turning it to the off possition as well. The theft system light in the gauge cluster comes on and stays on. It never blinks or goes off before starting. The small light on the radio never comes on. I think it is some kind of alarm or theft light as well.
Old May 5th, 2011, 12:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can only perform the 10-minute learn in this way:

1. Turn the key on and then observe the THEFT SYSTEM indicator turn on.
2. Observe the indicator turn off after a few seconds. If it doesn't turn off, you can stop here since it means there's something wrong with the Passlock hardware. There'll be a trouble code stored in the BCM.
3. Start the engine, leave the key on, and then observe the indicator flash. If it doesn't, you can stop here since the problem can't be resolved by the 10-minute learn.
4. Wait 10 minutes and observe the indicator turn off. If you get this far, turn the key off, wait 5 seconds, and then start the engine and you're done.

Since you say you never saw the THEFT SYSTEM indicator flash, I'd suggest getting it towed to a shop. I'd say the fix is a new ignition switch and lock cylinder most of the time but it all depends on what code is stored in the BCM.
Old August 23rd, 2011, 7:21 PM
CF Beginner

ChevyGuy,

Did you ever find a solution? I'm having the same exact problem. No dome lights, locks or radio.

Thanks

Mike
Old December 13th, 2014, 12:51 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2000 malibu theft system battery dying

I have the same issue with my car and have had this issues for the 3 years that I have owned it. But now, when the theft system light comes on, I turn the car off to let it reset itself and then it is draining my battery. Any suggestions to fix this problem? It is happening daily, sometimes multiple times in a day!