Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2001 Malibu- Help Troubleshoot Please

Search this Thread

Old December 16th, 2009, 10:13 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Malibu- Help Troubleshoot Please

As brief as possible….
<o></o>
Missing horribly bad, worse when dropped into any gear. Scans with only “random misfire on all cylinders.”
<o></o>
Changed plugs and wires. Coil module checked OK. Removed catalytic converter. Clean air filter and no obstructions. Fuel pressure checked OK. All fuses good.
<o></o>
All the above was done with the help of a buddy, as I am limited on experience when it comes to mechanics. So this is where I am….
<o></o>
Couple things to note:

The coil module has 3 plugs going in. One on the left, two on the right (while standing facing the engine) The one on the left check ok for voltage, while neither plug on the right has ANY voltage at all. We must assume it should have, as they both connect straight to the coil module and hence, the coil packs.
<o></o>
Also…this is my 18 year son’s car. He and his buddies recently tried to install a stereo. I later learned they cut some wires in the dash, trying to hook it up. There was mention of blowing fuses, a paperclip gets involved somewhere….and they finally bailed and stuck the old radio back in. They couldn’t get the original back to working, due to the anti-theft.
<o></o>
I haven’t been under the dash, but PERHAPS….cutting and fiddling with wiring under there is directly related to no power at plugs I mentioned before….assuming there should be power there, as I’m not sure.<o></o>
So much for brief! Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old December 17th, 2009, 8:10 AM
CF Beginner

Update.

Changed fuel filter, no help.

Also, pulled the radio...and they have, in fact, left all the wires hanging there and no plug to be found...nor does he know where it is. sigh. They did manage to tape the ends of most wires, but not all. I've read that the stereos in these cars are pretty much part of the control center...are we sure this isnt a part of my problem?? I still plan to get the plug, wire it back up, get the radio reset...and at least eliminate that whole cluster f.

Also, fyi, my son decided to buy plugs and wires to help fix his problem (I installed, correct order) where upon Auto Zone sold him Bosch Platinum plugs. I've read a few comments about those plugs causing problems as well. Also, I admittedly did not gap them. I did pull one, and it was within spec, but only one. Add that to the mix I suppose.

So...thats where I'm at. Ultimately, the "missing terribly while under load", I gather, is a good indicator of and ignition system problem. So...maybe I will focus more on that. Then again, Im told, could be a head gasket (but no water in oil) or intake manifold gasket. I should perform a compression test, I'm also told.

Then there are the injectors, I gather, could be clogged or bad, causing the wrong fuel mix, triggering the misfire on all cylinder code. Also note, I changed the fuel filter last night, and it didnt help. But these things are fuel related...so I suppose I should revert back to electrical.

Man this is good coffee! I really would appreciate any and all tips and suggestions! Thanks.
Old December 17th, 2009, 1:40 PM
CF Beginner

Well, nevermind.

At the suggestion of another mechanic, we did a compression test and learned cylinder #5 has....none. Or, 10 pounds anyway. Head gasket seems to be the issue. Thanks again.
Old December 17th, 2009, 5:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for letting us know what was wrong. Hopefully it'll help others out.
Old December 31st, 2009, 8:49 AM
CF Beginner

Update, for the record.

The problem was actually the rocker arm. Broken and pulled away from the stud....in my laymen description of what my mechanic told me. I've read about this problem in all my research...so there you go.

Cheaper than a head gasket. Thanks for everyone's input.