Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2001 Malibu ls not starting when it's cold?

Search this Thread

Old September 15th, 2014, 3:42 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2001 Malibu ls not starting when it's cold?

So I've had this issue for since last winter where my car won't start when it's cold out. At first the problem appeared to be the theft system having issues, but after putting the key in the on position for roughly 10 minutes, it would start no problem. This little trick has worked a million times, even if the theft system light was not on.

Well, about 3 days ago, I went to leave a friends house and my car wouldn't start. It was rather chilly out so I just turned it to the on position and left it at that while I finished getting ready to go. After a little longer than 10 minutes, I went to start the car and got nothing. Figured it needed a little longer, I just waited another 10 minutes. Still got nothing when I tried starting it. Long story short, it started about 2 hours later, once it warmed up outside. Then the next morning it started up after leaving it in the on position for a few minutes. This morning, it wouldn't start at all again. It gave me a slight clicking noise but nothing else came out of it. However the lights were working along with the radio,window,wind shield wipers, etc. My battery did die later on when I tried to turn it on in the afternoon but I think that's from this morning.

I'm getting concerned that this problem is going to just get worse during the upcoming fall and winter seasons. It gets rather cold in the morning and I'm not sure what to do to help with problem. It's definitely not the theft system problem anymore. Any suggestions where else to look??

PS I'm getting my battery tested as soon here in a bit but I'm not entirely sure that's the problem.