Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2002 Malibu dash trim

Search this Thread

Old July 14th, 2010, 10:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2002 Malibu dash trim

I need to replace a part of the dash that extends the top center a/c duct to the dashboard trim. It holds the two center a/c vents and the hazard flasher/switch. I gather that it's attached to the trim plate (that has the Malibu badge on the passenger side end) by two screws but I haven't pried the trim plate off yet. I can see that it's not molded onto the main dashboard structure.

The duct extension is broken and the hazard flasher is just kind of sitting on the pieces that are left. The left center a/c vent is no longer attached on the left end so it just flops around. I recently inherited this car and have no idea what Dad did to break it, but I need to replace the duct extension.

I don't know what the part is called, if it's available as a separate part, or if it's included with the trim plate which does not appear to be damaged. The dealer has no idea, either. They'll just order whatever I tell them I need.

GMPartsDirect.com shows the trim piece and calls it a "Cluster trim W/o Is". There are three versions of the part "Cluster Trim", one W/o Is and two W/Is. What's an Is and does it have anything to do with the duct extension piece? Can I buy just the duct extension?

Does anyone understand the part I'm trying to describe and know how I can get a new one with or without replacing the trim plate?

Thanks for any help you can offer.
Old July 14th, 2010, 10:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oops. I found another parts site that describes the Cluster Trim as with or without LS (not Is). This is a Malibu LS but the trim plate only says Malibu. It's wood grained if that matters and I don't see any gold trim or where gold trim might be an option. The three options for the trim plate are:

Cluster Trim w/o LS for about $150
Cluster Trim w/LS with gold option for about $75
Cluster Trim w/LS without gold option for about $250!

What's the difference and are they interchangeable?