Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2002 Sensor Problems?

Search this Thread

Old August 26th, 2006, 1:53 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Sensor Problems?

The car acts like the engine is not getting fuel or is running lean.

Moderate accelleration feels like the engine is starved for fuel, mash the pedal and everything is ok. At 70 -75 the car feels like the trans is kicking in and out. Almost like the car is running on 4 cylinders. Go uphill with the cruise on at 70 - 75 and it kicks it up to 3500 RPM and won't come down unless you back off on the throttle.

I pulled the plug for the Mass Air and did not get a code. Drove it for a while that way and the only problem was that it shifted like it had a kit installed.

I can't get a code from this thing if I wanted. I'm thinking its a bad ECM now.

I see that somone has a similar problem from July.

Old August 26th, 2006, 11:51 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 2002 Sensor Problems?

My 2002 Malibu revs/surges at highway speeds and jumps in and out of lock-up. It also kicks
itself out of cruise-control when it does this. Nothing like starved for fuel, though. We have done
a fuel-injector replacement, replaced the torque-converter, TCC, pressure solenoid, hydraulic
valve and shaft. No go. So, we replaced the MAF sensor, brake-switch and re-flashed the
transmission. No go. Then, replaced the throttle-position sensor. No go. Finally, replaced the
ECM/ECU. No go. Now, I wonder if it is the PROM. We took the old PROM and put it in the new
ECM/ECU. So, maybe a glitch in the PROM. Who knows? Any suggestions? Good luck with yours.
Old August 28th, 2006, 5:49 PM
CF Beginner

I am going for the Catalytic Converter. I'll post back if it is successful.
Old August 29th, 2006, 7:30 PM
CF Beginner

OK we dropped the exhaust and it was filled with crap. Don't ask me what it is, I don't know.

Did not replace anyparts, hooked up the exhaust and it is running better.

I am going to run it like this for a while to see if the problems return.

Stiv
Old September 2nd, 2006, 6:24 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 2002 Malibu that is hesitating at low speeds. It will rev and I have rpm's, but get no speed...like it's not getting fuel. Once I reach higher speeds, it seems to run fine (60mph and above). I have had a couple of instances where it would not increase speed at the higher mph. When using the cruise control at about 70, on an incline the rpms go to 4000-4500.
I need some help.

Thanks,
Debbie
Old September 4th, 2006, 9:48 PM
CF Beginner

The car is slow to gain speed at low speeds when accelerating unless the pedal is pushed to the floor.

When approaching high speeds (like on the entrance ramp to the freeway) the car is slow to gain speed.

At high speed, above 70, the car will chug or have a sensation of acting like the air is kicking on and off, or one or more cylinders are not firing.

When the cruise is on, the speed is 75 and you are on an incline, the car will not accelerate until the speed is down to 70 and then it kicks the rpm to 3700 or so and will remain at high rpm unless you take the cruise off or push the coast button one or two times.

At 75 mph I can push the accel pedal almost to the floor without any speed gain.

Now for what I have found, the local auto mech hasn't a clue. His diagnostic cannot come up with a code and he indicates that the engine and other mechanical parts are fine. The Chevy dealer had the car and he did not get a code and he found that the exhaust was restricted so he removed a bunch of crap from the pipes. The car has 85% more flow from the exhaust but it still runs like before. The dealer wants to go for the Fuel Pump next but I am not going to throw money on hunches.

I want to know why there is no code from the engine, why the check engine light does not come on even when the Mass Air Sensors are disconnected. I have been fighting this problem for years.

I am trading this piece of crap in and am not getting a Chevy again.

I bought American this time around out of sympothy for the Automakers but they really made a inferior car with this one.

Good luck with yours.
Old September 19th, 2011, 12:50 AM
CF Beginner

Did replacing the ecm/ecu with an new one and keeping the old PROM work? My car is in the same shape and I have avoided replacing the ECM/ECU so far.
Old September 19th, 2011, 11:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forum. I don't understand the "PROM" reference. You just need to make sure to match the service IDs on the label found on the PCM. This component is sensitive to electrostatic discharge damage and thus the circuit board inside shouldn't be messed with.
Old March 22nd, 2013, 9:28 AM
CF Beginner

Default Did you find the problem

My Malibu is doing something similar, just not to the extent you were seeing. Did you ever figure out what the problem was?
Old March 22nd, 2013, 2:33 PM
CF Beginner

I'm wondering too?

Quick Reply: 2002 Sensor Problems?