Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2005 Chevy Malibu Engine Replacement

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2022, 9:13 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 2005 Chevy Malibu Engine Replacement

I have a seized motor and am looking to replace the motor with a fresh one. What is the easiest way to swap out the motor. I have seen 2 options in my research. Option 1: I can drop the entire front drive train out the bottom of the car. Option 2: I can detach the motor from the transmission and lift the motor only up out the top.

Does anyone have any experience pulling a motor from an 05 Malibu. Should I drop everything out the bottom or pull only the motor from the top?
Old May 23rd, 2022, 9:58 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by jciepluch
I have a seized motor and am looking to replace the motor with a fresh one. What is the easiest way to swap out the motor. I have seen 2 options in my research. Option 1: I can drop the entire front drive train out the bottom of the car. Option 2: I can detach the motor from the transmission and lift the motor only up out the top.

Does anyone have any experience pulling a motor from an 05 Malibu. Should I drop everything out the bottom or pull only the motor from the top?
Needless to say but unless you can or have a way to lift the car up the only manner is hoisting the motor up and out or I suppose if you can find a place lower than ground level and wide enough then you could remove it down the bottom if nothing interferes with that.procedure.
Old May 23rd, 2022, 7:30 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car lift/ engine lift

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
Needless to say but unless you can or have a way to lift the car up the only manner is hoisting the motor up and out or I suppose if you can find a place lower than ground level and wide enough then you could remove it down the bottom if nothing interferes with that.procedure.
I have a car lift and an engine cherry picker. So both options are do-able. I am just looking for some info/experience on which is easier.
Old May 27th, 2022, 8:03 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by jciepluch
I have a car lift and an engine cherry picker. So both options are do-able. I am just looking for some info/experience on which is easier.
Well, have more than I currently have. I think that the main issue is making sure nothing is going to be an obstruction. I would go with the cherry picker, but I am old-school, so that's how we did it back in the day. Just have to get all those extra wires out of the way.