Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2005 Malibu Maxx LS blowing the aux fuse; spark plug location (rear)

Search this Thread

Old October 10th, 2018, 3:13 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Malibu Maxx LS electrical issues; spark plug location (rear)

This is going to sound weird and strange, however, on my dad's Malibu Maxx LS, the aux fuse just blows for no reason when I'm using the tire pump since the right front rim has bent thanks to the Michigan roads and the tire keeps losing air. I replaced the fuse twice (20A) and it still blows a fuse. I checked to make sure the wires weren't shorting on a piece of metal and they weren't. Also, the power lock switches and the power side mirror switches gave out again after I cleaned them a couple of years ago. Should I clean the switches again and fix the contact points on the switch (not the PCB), or replace them?

Should I just install a higher amp fuse for the aux lines? The rear one has its own and that still works, but, my tire pump's power connector is too short (the wiring).

Also, my dad's car has over 167K miles on it (yes, you read that right) and needs new spark plugs badly. I can replace the front ones with ease, but, I cannot find the rear ones or find a way to get to them. Are they easily accessible underneath the engine, or does that require hoisting it out? Thank you for helping out.

Also, the shift selection for Low (1-3) isn't working either as it gets stuck at 3, but, that's no big deal as the car cannot tow a trailer due to its capacitance of 1000 lbs.

Last edited by ChevyHeavy; October 25th, 2018 at 4:26 PM.
Old October 11th, 2018, 7:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

if the fuse only blows when using the compressor...the compressor is drawing to much current. When powering air compressors from a car aux receptacle...do it with the engine running. With the engine off the voltage drops...lower available voltage means more amps will be drawn to run the compressor...to many amps blow the fuse.

if it stills blows the fuse...measure the amp draw of the compressor...its probably to much for the circuit. NO...do not install a higher amp fuse. the wiring size and fuse are matched. to much draw blows the fuse but keeps the wiring from starting a fire. if the socket powers other items without blowing the fuse...its the compressor needing to much power.

for the rear plugs, remove the front upper engine mounts, use a ratchet strap to pull the engine forward for access to the rear plugs...from the top. you tube it.
switches, if cleaning works and you don't mind the time; clean it. if you would rather spend money than time;buy new switches.
Old October 12th, 2018, 8:57 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's the thing. My tire compressor says do not run the car (engine on) since it'll cause an overload in the circuits. Now another problem: the heater stopped working again (got that fixed 2 years ago). Time to change the thermostat and flush the cooling system again.
Old October 13th, 2018, 8:56 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

if that were the case; 12volt motor overloading due to an increase from 12.6 to 14.4 volts...every electrical motor on the car would overload when the alternator is putting out voltage. the only danger I have seen on a tire inflator is running them to long and overheating them.