Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2011 Chevy Malibu Starts then Dies

Search this Thread

Old January 11th, 2018, 2:13 PM
Newly Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2011 Chevy Malibu Starts then Dies

2011 Chevy Malibu LT
4 cylinder
154,000 miles
Weather: Typical Iowa winter - -20 through 50 degrees. Today started at 49 at 6am , was 32 when I left for work 3 hours later, and an Ice storm started around noon just before I left work.

Car was running just fine. On New Years Eve we were on the highway when the check engine light started blinking as the dash kept reading "engine power reduced." We had it towed home, rented a car, and went on our vacation. Returned home 3 days later, jumped car, started fine, no engine light, ran just fine. Fast forward 3 more days, were in the drive through at dunking donuts, turned the corner to proceed to the window and lose power steering, dash reads "service power steering." I drop my boyfriend at work across the highway and drive home with no power steering. Im inside for 30 minutes googling what to check first and then go get n the car to drive over to my grandpas shop. I have power steering, no lights, no dash warnings, I go to work instead. Fast forward to today, another 3 days, I drive to work, drive home. Park for 45 minutes and then go to leave to get my boyfriend from work. I start the car, get out and slap the ice from the wipers, get in the car put it in drive and I can't go. I realize the car is not started. I put it in park, turn it off, and start it again. It dies before I get it in drive. Start again, dies. Sounds like there is no gas but there is half tank at least. Any ideas before I go throwing money to the dealership/mechanics shop?