Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2011 Malibu lurching help!

Search this Thread

Old November 29th, 2019, 8:24 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Malibu lurching help!

When going down the road at a steady speed (not during acceleration) my car lurches. It's happened 3 times and I don't know why. The first time was barely noticeable. The second time was a little more. And it's done it one more time so I haven't driven it for a few days because I don't want it to break down on me. The last time it did it was kind of hard. It has a 2012 engine. 100012 miles on it. Does. Need an oil change. But I don't think that would cause this. And no check engine light.
Old November 29th, 2019, 5:09 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Autumn Smith
When going down the road at a steady speed (not during acceleration) my car lurches. It's happened 3 times and I don't know why. The first time was barely noticeable. The second time was a little more. And it's done it one more time so I haven't driven it for a few days because I don't want it to break down on me. The last time it did it was kind of hard. It has a 2012 engine. 100012 miles on it. Does. Need an oil change. But I don't think that would cause this. And no check engine light.
Have you been maintaining the car properly? You could have dirty fuel injector problems, a transmission going bad or the TCM is going south, your throttle cable is bad, the MAF sensor is bad or needs to be cleaned, or a fuel pump going bad, possibly the fuel pressure regulator is going south as well. .
Old November 29th, 2019, 6:17 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2011 Malibu lurching

It gets regular oil changes. Does need brakes on the front and back but I pretty much make sure it is taken care of. Is there a way to narrow it down to find the problem?
Old November 30th, 2019, 1:18 AM
CF Monarch

It gets regular oil changes. Does need brakes on the front and back but I pretty much make sure it is taken care of. Is there a way to narrow it down to find the problem?
I apologize but Firefox is having major issue with their latest updates and all the information I had ready to post was lost. I'll be using Chrome until they fix it. That said the first thing I wold try is a top notch gasoline additive, Techron full-strength down the gas tank, then run it good and hard, and see if that helps in case you have a fuel injector.issue with being party clogged or jammed up fuel injector. If that doesn't work Then I can repost my entire diagnosis as to your lurching issue.

On a side note I would really get those brakes repaired, as when you really need to stomp on the brakes, they can avoid an accident, thus keeping your car insurance rates lower avoiding an accident..
Old November 30th, 2019, 10:34 AM
CF Beginner

Default Techron

So do I need to have a full tank of gas when using the additive? I will put new brakes on it soon but we just bought a new house and anything that can go wrong has. I switched jobs for something$3 more an hour it was going really well and I got laid off. So thank you for your help it is really appreciated.
Old December 2nd, 2019, 8:20 AM
CF Monarch

So do I need to have a full tank of gas when using the additive? I will put new brakes on it soon but we just bought a new house and anything that can go wrong has. I switched jobs for something$3 more an hour it was going really well and I got laid off. So thank you for your help it is really appreciated.
Autumn:

No if you follow direction on the bottles you can us it that way. be sure to buy the Tecron complete fuel system cleaner in the black bottle, not the siiver one that is not as strong.

I don't now how mechanically inclined you arr are but front disk brakes are easy and 70 percent of raking is done by the front brakes, As to he lurching Have you checked out your transmission fluid level lately is it brown or a deeper brow with no red color? That could cause lurching as well as a bad throttle cables, MAF sensor located just beyond the air cleaner. You can try to clean it with MAF cleaner or contact cleaner, but also soak it 90 percent rubbing alcohol overnight in a can, but allow it to dry out good before re instillation the allow to to dry