Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2003 Malibu 3.1L vacuum line

Search this Thread

Old November 18th, 2019, 11:51 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Malibu 3.1L vacuum line

Hello,

My 2003 Malibu LS 3.1L was running rough at idle. The code indicated a lean condition. Utilizing the fuel trims I concluded it was likely a vacuum leak.

i found one vacuum line that had a piece of broken rubber on it but can’t find where the other end connects. Wondering if it is supposed to be plugged. One diagram doesn’t show it but others indicate it as to accessories.

when I plug it the idle is perfect but the fuel trims at high rpm indicate a rich condition. Do these take awhile to normalize? Is this supposed to be capped? Thanks for any help.

Located right in front of alternator.
Old November 18th, 2019, 5:20 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben1112
Hello,

My 2003 Malibu LS 3.1L was running rough at idle. The code indicated a lean condition. Utilizing the fuel trims I concluded it was likely a vacuum leak.

i found one vacuum line that had a piece of broken rubber on it but can’t find where the other end connects. Wondering if it is supposed to be plugged. One diagram doesn’t show it but others indicate it as to accessories.

when I plug it the idle is perfect but the fuel trims at high rpm indicate a rich condition. Do these take awhile to normalize? Is this supposed to be capped? Thanks for any help.

Located right in front of alternator.
If its affecting your fuel trim it must plug into something. I cant see from the picture which hose you speak of. Can you elaborate?
Old November 18th, 2019, 5:33 PM
CF Beginner

It is the little metal coupling right in front of the alternator. It doesn’t have a hose on it, it just had a small piece of broken rubber on it.
Old November 18th, 2019, 10:36 PM
Super Moderator

Received 615 Likes on 556 Posts

looks like the main vacuum source. Typically it goes to a checkvalve and spherical reservoir around the passenger wheel arch, before going through the firewall to the HVAC controls inside. Sometime there' a sticker with vacuuum routing diagram right under the hood.
Old November 19th, 2019, 11:08 AM
CF Beginner

There is a schematic or the lines on the strut tower but this port is not highlighted. That is why I’m wondering if it supposed to be capped. Other schematics for similar vehicles refer to it as “To Accesory”.
Old November 19th, 2019, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator

Received 615 Likes on 556 Posts

Does your vent selector work?
Old November 19th, 2019, 12:02 PM
CF Beginner

Yes but it sounds like a puff of air is emitted when switching between them.
Old November 19th, 2019, 3:48 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben1112
Yes but it sounds like a puff of air is emitted when switching between them.
If it doesn't seem to go to anything, but it has vacuum then yes you'll need to cap it, as it will allow unfiltered air into your engine
Old November 19th, 2019, 4:18 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the help. I will cap it and see how it goes. It sounds much better capped and doesn’t chug (can feel it) but I’m concerned about the fuel trims indicating its running rich.
Old November 19th, 2019, 5:47 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

mountainmanjoe
looks like the main vacuum source. Typically it goes to a checkvalve and spherical reservoir around the passenger wheel arch, before going through the firewall to the HVAC controls inside. Sometime there' a sticker with vacuuum routing diagram right under the hood.

It is. The op needs to trace the tubing back, and reinstall it. I can't believe it will even run.

Quick Reply: 2003 Malibu 3.1L vacuum line