Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2011 Malibu Water Leak

Search this Thread

Old April 1st, 2014, 7:35 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my car a couple years ago and I have found the same issues with water leaking in the passenger seat floor ans also the trunk. I only have 62000 miles on the car but it's a 2008 do you have a recall for it or a free fix
QUOTE=Chevrolet Customer Service;176690]BobsMalibu, I would like to direct message you for some information to see if I can assist you. Thank you.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service[/QUOTE]
Old April 2nd, 2014, 4:06 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hey Matt,

I am sorry to hear you are having a water leak concern. We can certainly look into this further, along with your Chevrolet dealership. Please private message me your name, VIN, phone number, and Chevrolet dealership name. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old June 2nd, 2014, 7:20 PM
CF Beginner

Default 09' Malibu Leak

I currently have a major leak on the driver's side of my car. Recently there has been an awful smell in my car to the point where I can't drive it. It gives me a headache and I also have two kids that should not be smelling it. The carpeting in the driver side is completely saturated and now is saturated to the rear of the car as well. We pulled the carpet back and there is sitting water underneath the carpet. What could possibly be causing this? I feel that after reading, the is probably a manufacturers' issue that I refuse to pay for. I can't even drive my car. I called the dealership and they want me to bring it in. I will have to pay for it and pay to get a rental. I have had nothing but problems with this car and this is just the icing on the cake. The engine rattles when you crank it and the locks keep breaking (I already had some of them replaced). Chevy better get with the program because now myself and my daughter are sick. could it be related to what we have had to smell??
Old July 10th, 2014, 10:24 AM
CF Beginner

Default Water Leak in 2010 Malibu LTZ

An inch of water recently appeared in the rear passenger floorboard of my Malibu LTZ. I wet-vac'd it and parked it in the sun with the windows cracked. My first thought was either a sunroof drain hose was loose or there was a rear passenger door seal problem. I ruled out both of those problems and the carpet remained dry - but the car smelled a bit funky.

Upon Googling this issue, I found this thread. The surface of the carpet was dry, but when I popped off the thresholds and pulled the carpet back the front and rear floorboards and the very thick spongy insulation/water barrier were completely saturated. Although the leak first manifested itself at the rear passenger floorboard, the water was under the entire passenger side of the cabin. The driver side remains dry.

A/C condensed water appears to drain normally from beneath the car. The water appeared after a trip with the A/C on and the ventilation system in recirculation mode.

I can't figure out where the drain plug is, but this sure sounds like the TSB #09-01-37-002E problem.

This car has had an exemplary track record - it's the first major problem. It will be hard to dry this out even after the defect is fixed.

I'd appreciate a contact from one of the Chevrolet Customer Service reps that monitor this thread.
Old July 10th, 2014, 5:52 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by DeepUgh
An inch of water recently appeared in the rear passenger floorboard of my Malibu LTZ. I wet-vac'd it and parked it in the sun with the windows cracked. My first thought was either a sunroof drain hose was loose or there was a rear passenger door seal problem. I ruled out both of those problems and the carpet remained dry - but the car smelled a bit funky.

Upon Googling this issue, I found this thread. The surface of the carpet was dry, but when I popped off the thresholds and pulled the carpet back the front and rear floorboards and the very thick spongy insulation/water barrier were completely saturated. Although the leak first manifested itself at the rear passenger floorboard, the water was under the entire passenger side of the cabin. The driver side remains dry.

A/C condensed water appears to drain normally from beneath the car. The water appeared after a trip with the A/C on and the ventilation system in recirculation mode.

I can't figure out where the drain plug is, but this sure sounds like the TSB #09-01-37-002E problem.

This car has had an exemplary track record - it's the first major problem. It will be hard to dry this out even after the defect is fixed.

I'd appreciate a contact from one of the Chevrolet Customer Service reps that monitor this thread.
Hi DeepUgh,

Can you private message us your VIN and mileage? It sounds like you're leaning more towards fixing this yourself, and although I can't offer any technical advice, I'm happy to look into service announcements associated with this issue. Sorry for the trouble, however we hope to hear from you soon.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old December 15th, 2014, 8:37 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2011 water leak in my malibu (back floor pan )

hello malibu owners anyone have the same problem.... i live in canada in nova scotia ... bought the brand new in may 2011 and no problem until now ... driving me crazy .. water comes from under the carpet and sponge on under side is holding it there ... anybody know how water is getting there ....the dealing cant find it the other mech @2 of them cant find ... help please or iam going to buy a ford... hahah
Old April 25th, 2019, 11:09 AM
CF Beginner

Default Do you have pictures?

[QUOTE=EinST;177718]Welcome to the forum. I hope the OP found the answer he was seeking. As for you, the problem is due to A/C condensate and thus you may not be able to determine if yours has the problem.. I haven't been able to figure out why some vehicles are afflicted and others aren't. Anyway, the following is the TSB:

#09-01-37-002D

Date: September 27, 2010

Subject: Water Leak into Front and Rear Passenger Floor and/or Carpet Wet (Inspect White Plug in HVAC Evaporator Drain and Apply Sealer to Front of Dash Area)

Models:
2008-2010 Chevrolet Cobalt
2008-2011 Chevrolet HHR, Malibu
2008-2010 Pontiac G5
2008-2009 Pontiac G6
2008-2009 Saturn AURA

Supercede:
This bulletin is being revised to add the Pontiac G5 model. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 09-01-37-002C (Section 01 - HVAC).

Condition

Some customers may comment that the front and rear floor carpet is wet on the passenger side.

Cause

This condition may be caused by a plugged HVAC evaporator Drain. In some cases, water from the HVAC system will drain back though the front of the dash.

Correction

Note: Reposition of the heat shield is not necessary on a Cobalt and HHR.

1. Verify the customer's concern. If there is water on the passenger side front floor area, raise and suitably support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in SI.
2. Inspect the operation of the drain.

Note: Make sure that small debris is not plugging up the drain.

3. Reposition the heat shield (1) in order to gain access to the HVAC drain.

4. Remove the white plug (1) and assure there is no debris in the drain tube and/or plug. If debris exists, pull from the drain tube (do NOT force back into evaporator case) and reinstall the plug.

Important: Do not get sealer on the heat shield, on the end of, or within the drain tube.

5. Mask off the areas (1, 2) by the HVAC drain using high-quality automotive tape.
6. Apply high tech seam sealer, Kent Industries P/N P10200*, to the front of dash area as shown in figure below.

D s
Do you have pictures? The ones you submitted don't work
Old April 25th, 2019, 11:22 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2006 Chevy Malibu maxx Leak and wet front passenger carpet

Mine is leaking and here is what I found leaking.

Old September 18th, 2019, 6:42 PM
CF Beginner

I have the same leak! Emailed to ask how you fixed it.

Last edited by bthrem; September 19th, 2019 at 7:01 AM.