Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2012 Malibu engine coolant gauge not working.

Search this Thread

Old October 4th, 2016, 3:33 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Malibu engine coolant gauge not working.

Hey ya'll,
My wife owns a 2012 Chevrolet Malibu 4cyl. This morning she called me to tell me her engine collateral temp gauge is quit working. At the same time, her a/c no longer blows cold air. It blows air of ambient temperature. I suspect it to be the ECT sensor or thermostat. I have eliminated the resistor block on the compressor, the battery is brand new, and all of her connections seem to be in good standing. The only other item I can think of it being would be the BCM itself. Does anyone have any other ideas of what it might be? I am basically at wits end, the a/v quits on us once a year and we have to replace the control unit in the dash every time. This car is quickly becoming the worst vehicle we have ever owned. However, a new vehicle is not in the cards right now, so I have to do what is necessary to keep this vehicle running appropriately. So any ideas from ya'll would be greatly appreciated.
Old October 5th, 2016, 6:50 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

by engine collateral temp gauge you mean the engine coolant temperature gauge in the instrument cluster or the ambient temperature reading?

check for codes and if a ect dtc circuit high is set unplug the sensor connector and check for 5volt ref voltage and grd. if that is good jumper the connector pins together and see is a dtc for circuit low is set. if it is, replace the sensor.
The following users liked this post:
MIKEY BARAN (February 1st, 2021)