Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2012 Malibu high pitch sound?!

Search this Thread

Old March 23rd, 2012, 1:53 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Lump,

It may be the LED's. There was another customer that heard a high pitched noise in their vehicle, very similar to what you have described, and it turned it was the LED's of the radio. Funny thing is, his wife couldn't hear it. Was the dealer able to hear the noise? Anyone else?

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old April 7th, 2012, 4:12 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2012 silverado and have the same issue. I take it to the dealer and they claim there is no issue and no known problems. Brand new off the lot I began to hear this noise. It is not a malfunction with the radio, spedometer noise, cd noise, lighting etc. This is a destinctive high pitched noise that originated from inside the dashboard somewhere, Im assuming it is a electrical relay of some sort. GM knows this is an issue. I can not see how they do not. You are not crazy and do not need your ears checked!
Old April 8th, 2012, 2:00 PM
CF Beginner

SAME THING HERE. Posted on another thread too. I just purchased a brand new 2012 GMC Sierra SLT and noticed this constant and very irritating high pitch sound inside the truck. Its not mechanical or coming through the speakers. Its electronic and coming from behind the radio. What can I do?
Old April 9th, 2012, 9:36 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> bigdave,

There may be a ground wire issue with the radio. This is just a suggestion, not a diagnosis. I encourage you to have the vehicle inspected by your dealer.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old April 9th, 2012, 6:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm reminded of the Rolls-Royce and their off and on struggle with the clock noise of all things. All that engineering went into the quiet cabin and ...
Old April 16th, 2012, 2:15 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you hear it with nothing on find what ever has power I know u guys have warranty but still if it was my truck I would know were it was coming from
Old April 17th, 2012, 7:17 PM
CF Beginner

I'm 26 and having the same problem!! I brought it to in and they looked at me like I'm crazy. This is terrible and makes me never want to buy another Chevy again! If you find a fix, please let me know! I like the car, but terrible noise!
Old April 24th, 2012, 9:20 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2012 chevy tahoe

I totally agree with the sound. I just bought a 2012 tahoe, and discovered the high pitch sound. I just received a call from the dealership saying that it is the fan behind the radio causing the noise and there is nothing they can do about it, unless enough people complain.
Old April 27th, 2012, 5:27 AM
CF Beginner

Stop whining. Replace your radio and be done with it.
Old April 27th, 2012, 5:34 AM
CF Beginner

GM doesn't care. Or the thousands of people who research 2012 models with noise issues. They sit at the computer day after day hoping to find a quick resolution. Not wanting to deal with the inconvenience of leaving your vehicle at the dealership and get the same results that the technicians are trained to tell you- normal operation.
A handful of people signed here to post yet all the inquiries???
GM doesn't care nor anyone else. Replace that piece of **** radio

Quick Reply: 2012 Malibu high pitch sound?!