Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2012 Malibu high pitch sound?!

Search this Thread

Old April 27th, 2012, 11:10 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL, wow.
Old April 27th, 2012, 5:55 PM
CF Beginner

I brought my radio to the dealer and threw it on the General Managers desk. Told him " I found the Fn problem."

LOL
Old October 8th, 2012, 12:21 PM
CF Beginner

I just bought a 2012 Malibu, with a Delphi factory UUI Radio, I have the same issue, a ~9kHz 58db noise whenever the Electoluminecent radio display is on and not dimmed to the max.

It gives me a major headache. Only 160 miles and there is no dealer fix I have heard of.

The GM Document ID: regarding this problem is 2885978 (#PIT5166A) dated 6/28/2012 states to the dealer Engineering is investigating...Please do not make further repairs. Place your ear within 6 inches of the Radio power button and you will hear it. Radio does not need to be on, just the clock lit.

It includes the 2012 Buick Enclave, Chevrolet Avalanche, Malibu, Silverado, Tahoe, Traverse, GMC Arcadia, Sierra, Yukon. Equipped with radios RPO USB, and UUI.

You will find it happen during the first 15 seconds of opening the door, then stop (dash lights go out), then again and continuous when key is on, except with headlights on and dimmer set so low you can not see the dash lamps.

It's probably the resonating of the switching power supply tot he radio display, yet GM is ignoring it and telling people it's normal operation. Search the internet on "high pitch noise in GM radio" The worry is that constant tone may cause deafness at that frequency and perhaps the harmonic (~18kHz). I have heard a rumor someone may have fixed it by taking apart the radio and potting the resonating components electrical to stop the high frequency vibration.

Any info would be greatly appreciated as I am afraid to drive the vehicle any longer after owning it for only 24 hours.