Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2013 Malibu theft deterent system keeps car dead

Search this Thread

Old January 10th, 2016, 11:10 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 Malibu theft deterent system keeps car dead

I know this has been asked MANY times, but I have a doozy. Or a possessed car at this point. We have a 2013 Chevy Malibu. Theft deterrent light came on. Tried to reset it 4 times using every method suggested. Called a locksmith to get a new key made. FOB failed and regular keys all 3 did too. GM is refusing to admit there is a problem and service center wants more money just to diagnose it. I haven't found a thread on a 2013 model having this issue. Any suggestions?
Old January 10th, 2016, 11:51 AM
CF Veteran

how did all 3 keys and the fob fail? Sounds to me like you need to pull the codes and diagnose the car instead of hoping it will fix itself, the standard "circle plus" keys don't really "fail" and if the car/tdm is having issues you won't be able to program a new key properly anyway.

How can GM do anything about it if they have no idea whats going on with the car because it hasn't been diagnosed?
Old January 10th, 2016, 11:54 AM
CF Beginner

Probably should have clarified that first. GM wont do anything until it's diagnosed. They don't recognize it as a problem. I didn't want to fork out $180 to have it diagnosed if it were a fix that I could do. Sounds like it wont be.
Old January 10th, 2016, 12:05 PM
CF Veteran

You could find somebody with a scanner to pull codes, depending on your area some parts stores will do it for free. If you can get the codes we may be able to help you through it but the security systems can require a lot of scan tool use for testing and programming.
Old January 10th, 2016, 12:08 PM
CF Beginner

Great suggestion but I would need to tow it to these stores to gather the codes. I can't afford that, I'll need to get it towed to a dealership. Wish chevy would fix these tdm. At this point i haven't been able to use my car more than anyone stealing it.
Old January 20th, 2016, 3:51 AM
CF Beginner

There are some pretty high tech scan tools that you could buy that could possibly give you a good idea of what's wrong. Then again, you could also use that money just to get it towed and diagnosed. Your call.