Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2016 Chevy Malibu - exterior door lock button not working

Search this Thread

Old December 12th, 2018, 6:55 PM
Newly Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 Chevy Malibu - exterior door lock button not working

Hi all! I have a 2016 Malibu with keyless system. Over the past few months it’s been acting weird- not always unlocking or locking on the first press. This is drivers side door btw. About 2 weeks ago that button stopped working altogether. The inside lock/unlock buttons work as do the buttons on the key fob. It is only the exterior door handle button that doesn’t work any longer. Ideas?
Old February 28th, 2020, 8:40 AM
CF Beginner

Default Did you find out the problem

did you get this problem resolved be now I have the same issue with my 2016 Malibu

Originally Posted by Doe10200
Hi all! I have a 2016 Malibu with keyless system. Over the past few months it’s been acting weird- not always unlocking or locking on the first press. This is drivers side door btw. About 2 weeks ago that button stopped working altogether. The inside lock/unlock buttons work as do the buttons on the key fob. It is only the exterior door handle button that doesn’t work any longer. Ideas?
Old March 21st, 2022, 8:42 PM
CF Beginner

Default Did you ever find a solution?

I am having the same problem with my car. All of the unlock and lock buttons work except for the driver side exterior door buttons. If you were able to find a solution I’d appreciate it if you would share. Thank you.
Old August 23rd, 2022, 10:50 PM
CF Beginner

Default Same problem with my 2016

Has anyone found out what the cause of this is? Just recently my driver door started doing this same thing. I have to open it from the passenger side. The inside latch will work but the keyless lock and outside handle won’t work. It will say it’s locked but it won’t really lock but if you open it from the outside, the door opens as if it’s unlocked and the car alarm goes off.
im just trying to figure out if it’s something we can fix on our own or if I’ll have to take it in. I’ve only got 57k miles on it but I think my bumper to bumper warranty is up on the time I’ve had it…of course.