Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

98 Malibu turns over, won't start, gas guage not working

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2009, 2:30 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 98 Malibu turns over, won't start, gas guage not working

I have a 98 Malibu 6 cylinder. Yesterday, my car ran great all day. I was going out last night and the car would turn over but not start. I also noticed that the gas guage was not working. Could anyone tell me what would cause this?? My boyfriend sprayed some of the starting fluid into my engine and it started, but died again right away.
Old May 28th, 2009, 5:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It sounds to me like your fuel pump has stopped working. When you turn the key on can you here a humming noise in the fuel tank?
Old May 29th, 2009, 8:56 AM
CF Beginner

We changed out the fuel pump, but it still wouldn't start and the gas gauge still is not working. My mechanic said that the fuel pump was bad, but when he hooked his computer to my car, the computer said "unable to connect". He now thinks that my computer in my car shorted out as well. Does this sound right??
Old June 5th, 2009, 5:56 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by lisavictoria
We changed out the fuel pump, but it still wouldn't start and the gas gauge still is not working. My mechanic said that the fuel pump was bad, but when he hooked his computer to my car, the computer said "unable to connect". He now thinks that my computer in my car shorted out as well. Does this sound right??
Check the ignition switch. Common problem on the 97-03 Malibus. Mine went out and would crank but some of the gauges wouldn't work or it would die while running and all gauges would go haywire. Does the check engine light come on when you turn the ignition on (not cranking)? If not, I'd bet money on it being the ignition switch.

Last edited by wwwilly; June 5th, 2009 at 6:03 PM.