Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

body control module help

Search this Thread

Old July 6th, 2011, 3:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default body control module help

I have a 2004 Malibu MAXX that has electrical issues.

For the past year I have owned this car the car alarm goes off by by itself randomly. (At least once every two weeks)

A month ago the FOB would not work nor interior door locks until I disconnected the the battery for an hour.

Most recently the dash lights and gauges would not work until I disconnected the battery for an hour.

I am thinking the Body Control Module might be causing this problem but I am not sure.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Old July 7th, 2011, 11:29 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forum. The location of the BCM tends raise the humidity around it and cause fretting corrosion on the electrical contacts. You may want to try reseating the connectors on the BCM (don't forget the one on the back side as well) to wipe the contact surfaces. Take care not to bend the pins. GM actually recommends lightly coating the connector pins with a dielectric lubricant like NyoGel 760G to prevent fretting.
Old July 8th, 2011, 3:19 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What EinST said! I had problems with the BCM on my 07 Malibu. Check the connectors too, one of mine was bad.
Old July 12th, 2011, 12:59 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the info I will check it out I think the BCM is in the console on the passenger side.
Old July 12th, 2011, 2:28 PM
CF Beginner

I just reseated all four connectors on the BCM. Now I'll wait to see if alarm goes off again. I did not use the gel, my parts dealer did not have the brand you recommended.
Old July 12th, 2011, 5:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the update. You can order NyoGel 760G from various online vendors. You can also get the same thing from the service counter by P/N 12377900.
Old August 20th, 2011, 11:51 AM
CF Beginner

The problem is back the horn still goes off. If I get one from the salvage yard is there a code to look for based on the options that came with my car?

My daughter drives this car. She complains of it as being hard starting. sometimes two or three tries. Of course it works for me. This sounds like a fuel pressure regulator to me.

Thanks for any help.
Old August 20th, 2011, 7:35 PM
CF Junior Member

Check out this page

GM Chevrolet Malibu Brake Lights On When Brake Pedal Up Problem Repair Guide - Pictures Illustrated Automotive Maintenance Instructions
Old August 20th, 2011, 7:39 PM
CF Junior Member

GR, check this page.....

GM Chevrolet Malibu Brake Lights On When Brake Pedal Up Problem Repair Guide - Pictures Illustrated Automotive Maintenance Instructions

I wouldn't recommend buying a used BCM, as you might end up with the same problem
Old October 16th, 2019, 12:12 PM
CF Beginner

Question Are there any precautions before reseating the BCM connections?ors?

short version - can I disconnect battery or reseat BCM connections without worry on a 2006 Chevy Malibu Maxx...

long version.. This thread describes a possible fix to a Malibu Issue (,and seat heaters turning them self on, unused CD player noises, rear wiper turning itself on) to be unseating and adding dielectric grease and reseating BCM connectors.

But , I also see where to change a BCM you may need to reprogram the BCM. My question is can I do the reseating greasing procedure and not have to reprogram the BCM and if I do the procedure should I disconnect the battery first or does that mess up the car's memory.

The car is a 2006 Chevy Malibu Maxx. V6 ..

Note! I see a relevant safety recall listed GM Bulletin No.:13036 with the latest version, 13036C with the the dielectric greasing procedure but for some reason it I never received that recall so it does not cover my Malibu.

Last edited by gabby09; October 16th, 2019 at 12:13 PM. Reason: typos

Quick Reply: body control module help