Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

A/C drain on 2017 malibu

Search this Thread

Old April 5th, 2019, 7:28 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C drain on 2017 malibu

A/C drain on 2017 malibu. Please send me a picture or diagram of where it is. I have odors from my a/c system
Old April 6th, 2019, 8:22 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by bdanyluk
A/C drain on 2017 Malibu. Please send me a picture or diagram of where it is. I have odors from my a/c system
I'll have my 2015 Malibu up on jacks next week for oil and tranny fluid change. and tire rotation, so I'll look for it. But honestly most cars have a hose that comes out near the firewall usually on the passenger side of the vehicle. I'd use a flexible tool of some kind to _pull_ the matter out of the hose if I were you.

Last edited by oilcanhenry; April 6th, 2019 at 5:10 PM.
Old April 6th, 2019, 9:01 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

what he said. find the ac lines where they go into the firewall...the drain grommet is usually located beneath the lines.

if the drain is clear:
replace the cabin filter if its more than one year old
-have a deodorizer bomb deployed to neutralize the smell (available at a auto parts store)
-condensation formation on the evaporator can cause micro growth. This will cause a stagnant water smell. Have the evaporator sprayed with a anti-microbial agent. If the problem still persists, have the dealer turn on the hvac afterblow function. this will run the blower motor after the vehicle is shut down to help evaporate the condensation.
Old April 8th, 2019, 2:39 AM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by tech2
what he said. find the ac lines where they go into the firewall...the drain grommet is usually located beneath the lines.

if the drain is clear:
replace the cabin filter if its more than one year old
-have a deodorizer bomb deployed to neutralize the smell (available at a auto parts store)
-condensation formation on the evaporator can cause micro growth. This will cause a stagnant water smell. Have the evaporator sprayed with a anti-microbial agent. If the problem still persists, have the dealer turn on the hvac afterblow function. this will run the blower motor after the vehicle is shut down to help evaporate the condensation.
That is true for both my K-1500 and my Malibu. Both climate control box drains on both vehicles are located beneath the A/C inlet and outlet hoses into the firewall, as I checked today. Must be lucky as I have never had an issue with any of my vehicles having this issue. I'll keep your advice in mind as to using a deodorizer"bomb" if it ever happens.

Now if Chevrolet had made a metal air-inlet hold-down screw on my TBI-spider fuel injection resonator, I'd be really happy, but they used a plastic one with a non-standard metal nut on the end which stripped out. Thought I'd give my throttle body a little cleaning, but thankfully I found a new one for seven bucks online. Be putting never-seize on the threads of new one. Well, nothings perfect, not even a Chevrolet, but way better then any Mo-parts and F**d's.
Old April 8th, 2019, 7:00 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

lol... I work for fca! That's why my avatar is a ram
Old April 8th, 2019, 7:04 PM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by tech2
lol... I work for fca! That's why my avatar is a ram
Kinda wondered about that. My brother owns a Ram 4x4 that is a lot like yours, even being white. Has the 5.9-liter diesel motor. Seems to work pretty well too.