Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

Chevy Malibu 2014 (2.5L) - P0013 and P0014

Search this Thread

Old August 11th, 2018, 11:30 PM
Newly Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chevy Malibu 2014 (2.5L) - P0013 and P0014

Hello,

Over the last month, I was randomly getting CEL P0013 while operating my vehicle and I noticed a bit of "hard" shifting going on. I started doing some research and found out P0013 is related to the Intake Camshaft Position 'B' Actuator Solenoid (exhaust). My symptoms seemed to match those listed here: https://www.obd-codes.com/p0013

After more research, I found out that replacing both the 'A' (intake) and 'B' (exhaust) is recommended when replacing either, so this is what I did. I figured I'd save some money by ordering the replacement solenoids online, and the actual labor seemed to be very simple after finding online instructions. The parts I ordered and installed were ULTRA-POWER 916935 (intake) and SKP SK916937 (exhaust).

Now that both solenoids have been replaced, I thought I'd be good to go. Unfortunately, I started receiving P0014 which specifically refers to the camshaft timing. However, I am exclusively receiving P0014 very shortly after I start the car. The CEL does not illuminate during normal operation of the vehicle - only at startup, and normally 10-30 seconds after the car is running.

I read that I may need to bring my vehicle in for some sort of timing test...is this true? I would rather not pay ~$100 for some test which may not be conclusive. Is there anything I can try? More information on P0014 is listed here: https://www.obd-codes.com/p0014

Some background information - my normal work commute is approximately 60 miles each way, which I drive on average 2-3 times per week. I regularly change the oil between 4000 and 5000 mile cycles.

Thanks!