Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

Chimes Not, 2004 Malibu Maxx LS

Search this Thread

Old November 15th, 2014, 2:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Chimes Not, 2004 Malibu Maxx LS

A few days ago I heard the turn signal clicking sound starting to cut-out. Then it stopped altogether and so did the Ignition start, seat belt warning, low gas, door ajar, "hazad lights on" chimes/noises. It's a very quiet ride now. I do not have XM radio, just the stock GM stereo/CD and I still have radio sounds okay. Read-up in differing forums it could be driver side speaker in other models, but is this true of the 2004 Malibu (Maxx) too. I think there might be a seperate "chime" component I can replace instead? Swinging the Balance Left/right seems to be okay with the radio.
Any tips to diagnose, troubleshoot or identify Part number and confirm location (behind instrument cluster?) would be much appreciated.

Last edited by whybuy4n; November 15th, 2014 at 2:25 PM.
Old November 15th, 2014, 8:39 PM
CF Junior Member

Looks like it is in the instrument cluster.
The audible warnings alert the driver of a system concern or a critical vehicle condition. The instrument panel cluster (IPC) generates the audible warnings through a speaker. The IPC receives audible warning requests via the GMLAN serial data line. If the IPC receives multiple audible warning requests, the warning with the highest priority sounds first. The following lists the audible warning priority and the pulse rate:
and the schematic seems to confirm it.
Attached Thumbnails Chimes Not, 2004 Malibu Maxx LS-108610433.jpg  
Old November 16th, 2014, 10:20 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks much! First mystery solved. I found an entire Instrmnt Panel Cluster online for 1/2 the cost the local dealer wants just to "troubleshoot". Now I'll check to see if I can locate an anunciator/speaker on the IPC that can be replaced, rther than the entire cluster? A few days ago, I found an image of the backside of a similar vintage Pontiac IPC and it was mounted there, but could not tell if it was replace-able.
Thanks again.
Old November 18th, 2014, 8:09 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by whybuy4n
Thanks much! First mystery solved. I found an entire Instrmnt Panel Cluster online for 1/2 the cost the local dealer wants just to "troubleshoot". Now I'll check to see if I can locate an anunciator/speaker on the IPC that can be replaced, rther than the entire cluster? A few days ago, I found an image of the backside of a similar vintage Pontiac IPC and it was mounted there, but could not tell if it was replace-able.
Thanks again.
Just to be sure, I assume you don't have a option to change the volume through the menu?(diver info center)