Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

Coolant leaks - where from?

Search this Thread

Old October 24th, 2011, 12:31 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant leaks - where from?

1998 Malibu - 3.1L V6, transverse engine.

I have coolant pooling on the driver's side of the engine, by the transmission fluid add cap, and a little higher up. This is on the opposite side of the engine from the water pump, etc.

I've heard that it could be the intake manifold gasket, or the plenum, both of which are included in an intake manifold gasket kit.

Could the problem be something besides this? I'd really prefer to avoid having to take it in, as I don't have an extra $1000 lying around to give to someone else to troubleshoot/fix the issue. I can get the gasket kit fairly cheap, and I've done most of the work on this car myself, anyway.
Old October 24th, 2011, 12:48 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Tamvolan
1998 Malibu - 3.1L V6, transverse engine.

I have coolant pooling on the driver's side of the engine, by the transmission fluid add cap, and a little higher up. This is on the opposite side of the engine from the water pump, etc.

I've heard that it could be the intake manifold gasket, or the plenum, both of which are included in an intake manifold gasket kit.

Could the problem be something besides this? I'd really prefer to avoid having to take it in, as I don't have an extra $1000 lying around to give to someone else to troubleshoot/fix the issue. I can get the gasket kit fairly cheap, and I've done most of the work on this car myself, anyway.
How many miles? The 3.1 are notorious for lower gasket leaks. I'd suggest you also check your dipstick to see if it is leaking into the oil pan also. Might be a good idea to replace them anyway.
Old October 24th, 2011, 3:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
How many miles? The 3.1 are notorious for lower gasket leaks. I'd suggest you also check your dipstick to see if it is leaking into the oil pan also. Might be a good idea to replace them anyway.
About 157k. I've been checking the dipstick, and I recently (within the last 3-4 weeks/150 miles) did an oil change. Oil looked ok.

However, I have been dealing with a small oil leak, almost since I bought it back in '01. Nothing to ever really worry about, just enough to stain the driveway underneath. That leak seems to have gotten a little worse in the last couple of weeks.
Old October 24th, 2011, 4:04 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Tamvolan
About 157k. I've been checking the dipstick, and I recently (within the last 3-4 weeks/150 miles) did an oil change. Oil looked ok.

However, I have been dealing with a small oil leak, almost since I bought it back in '01. Nothing to ever really worry about, just enough to stain the driveway underneath. That leak seems to have gotten a little worse in the last couple of weeks.
That lower gasket could have been replaced. On the ends of the intake uses RTV, and you have to really get them clean or it will leak there. I's hard to tell without being able to see it.