Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

Dash and steering wheel shaking at stoplight

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2012, 4:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash and steering wheel shaking at stoplight

Hello everyone I've got some problems with this just purshased 2004 classic 2.2 auto . When I put the car in gear with foot on brake you can feel a vibration in the steering wheel and the dash vibrates not too terrible sometimes but sometimes it does shake pretty good say when you pull up to stoplight. It always shakes some , but sometimes shake bad. Is this something someone has encounterd before ? I thought I would ask before I tear into the dash to look for some loose bolts or start changing some pricy motor mounts. Thanks raffterman
Old May 15th, 2012, 1:37 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Sorry to hear you've been experiencing this, raffterman! If you'd like us to look into the matter further for you, please send us a direct message with your VIN. Have you thought about bringing your Chevy to a dealership for a diagnosis?

Best,

Katie (Assisting Louis)
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old May 16th, 2012, 7:38 AM
Former Sponsor

Post Dash and steering wheel shaking at stoplight

Have you checked your Chevrolet Classic Brake Rotor? Is it warped? If so, then change it; otherwise the only cause for this problem is Engine Mount. Check and replace it.
Old May 16th, 2012, 11:38 AM
CF Beginner

Thank you thats what I was wanting to hear . Is the lower mount hard to change? I've done the upper mount on my in-laws 2000 saturn LS Thanks Raffterman
Old July 22nd, 2016, 3:42 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by johntaps
Have you checked your Chevrolet Classic Brake Rotor? Is it warped? If so, then change it; otherwise the only cause for this problem is Engine Mount. Check and replace it.
I changed all the brakes rotors and pad as well as the rear brake shoes
The engine mounts are new also
Old July 22nd, 2016, 3:47 PM
CF Beginner

Default Steering wheel and dashboard vibrates when stopped

2004 Chevrolet Malibu 2.2 liter engine automatic transmission.
Drives very good!
When stopping at traffic light steering wheel and dashboard vibrates.
Changed Front Rotors and pads also REAR shoes
Motor mount are all good.