Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

Death trap

Search this Thread

Old August 15th, 2021, 9:35 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Death trap

My 2013 Chevy Malibu has so many issues right now and I wish I’d done the research on this car before I purchased it, first thing tomorrow morning I will be contacting an attorney because the bill Kay dealership that I went to knew this car had issues. The stabiltrac light won’t go off, the traction light and check engine light is now on and my car won’t go over 20 mph and the engine overdrive light is on now. When I visited the Gm forum I see may problems like this from multiple people but no answers on how to fix it. GM should make better cars or at least make sure the problems are fixed before you resale them
Old August 16th, 2021, 7:51 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 92 Likes on 83 Posts

The reason the vehicle will not go over 20 MPH ,very well could be the system is in "Limp Mode" .That mode allows the operator to get to a service facility. It is also to prevent any damage to vehicle components.
There could be many reasons as to why it is in limp mode, and that is when a good tech will need to check it out and determine just what is going on. It could be something simple , but some special test equipment and access to information may be required and certainly a knowledgeable mechanic.
Patience,,, usually ,if available , pays off in circumstances like this.
Old August 16th, 2021, 8:45 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hanky
The reason the vehicle will not go over 20 MPH ,very well could be the system is in "Limp Mode" .That mode allows the operator to get to a service facility. It is also to prevent any damage to vehicle components.
There could be many reasons as to why it is in limp mode, and that is when a good tech will need to check it out and determine just what is going on. It could be something simple , but some special test equipment and access to information may be required and certainly a knowledgeable mechanic.
Patience,,, usually ,if available , pays off in circumstances like this.
thank you but unfortunately all the techs here at the Chevy dealers are on strike so I have to miss work and not get my car fixed
Old August 16th, 2021, 10:02 AM
CF Monarch

Received 263 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by Ccollier82
thank you but unfortunately all the techs here at the Chevy dealers are on strike so I have to miss work and not get my car fixed
Not much difference between your Chevrolet 2013 Malibu and my 2015 Chevy Malibu, and it's been a fantastic car! With the 197 HP 2.5 liter engine, I don't have to worry about a turbocharger, and when I hammer it, it moves out. Great fuel mileage too, above specs.by 5 MPG or more.

Unless you have some extended warranty what's wrong with using a good independent shop? You can use Yelp to find one easily. That said perhaps you can have your Malibu repaired at a dealership, not on strike. Might be a ways away, but if it eases your mind, it might be worth the extra miles. Why are you calling the Malibu a "Death Trap"? What did it do to deserve that?

Last edited by oilcanhenry; August 16th, 2021 at 10:07 AM.
The following users liked this post:
hogbiker (August 17th, 2021)