Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

Ambient air sensor issues

Search this Thread

Old August 17th, 2021, 11:47 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ambient air sensor issues

I get in my car and start it only to be greeted by a check engine light and reduced power message. I open the hood and a stinking rat runs out. I get to looking and the rat has chewed some wires that go to the throttle position sensor and another wire. I solder and repair the wires. Car drives fine but now the temperature on my screen is at 72° and it doesn’t change more than a degree or two. The actual OAT is 90°. AC works sometimes and sometimes it doesn’t. I have a check engine light on and a P0073 code. I cleared the code and the check engine light was on and the code reader said it was stored. I did a drive cycle seeing if that would clear. Nope. When I reset the code the display momentarily goes to -40° then back to 72° and the check engine light comes back on. I disconnect the AAS (ambient air sensor) and nothing changes. I disconnected the battery for about 10 minutes but now it says 32°. I replaced the AAS and the same problem. I checked the AAS wiring harness for short to each other and short to ground and both are fine. I would like to check continuity but don’t know where the AAS wiring terminates. Now the check engine light is off but the code reader says P0073 pending and the temp is still on 32°. I put a hot hair dryer on the sensor and temp didn’t change. Anyone have any ideas? Should I get an OEM sensor?
Old August 17th, 2021, 9:14 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fixed it. Rat had chewed through both wires leading to my AAS. Repaired it, did a drive cycle and everything is working.
The following users liked this post:
oilcanhenry (August 18th, 2021)