Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

Driver's door won't open from inside or outside

Search this Thread

Old February 27th, 2018, 8:07 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver's door won't open from inside or outside

I have a 2010 Chevy Malibu. I walked to my car on my lunch break yesterday and the driver's side door was slightly open. I assumed I just didn't shut it all the way.

I got in my car and shut the door like normal but when I got to my destination, the door would not open from the inside or outside. When I got home that night, I called a locksmith to open it, hoping that something just got stuck in the latch and it would be a one-time fix. The locksmith would not open the door due to liability issues in case something broke.

Any idea how I might be able to get the door open? If I do end up having to take it to a shop, any idea what it will cost me? Thanks!
Old February 27th, 2018, 8:31 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

to confirm: it not fully closed. the seatbelt is not caught up in the latch?
Old February 27th, 2018, 9:00 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's correct. Nothing is caught in the door.
Old February 28th, 2018, 8:22 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

that is a tough predicament. I have had a couple of theses on various models. In those cases i had to pull off the inner door panel from the inside. This may indeed crack the inner door panel. Inner door trim panels are very expensive new.
my advise to you is to take it to either a body shop (body shop guys are pretty clever when it comes to this) or automechanic and have a professional deal with it.