Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

Extended Storage methods of Malibou Hybrid to protect against rundown of batteries

Old May 29th, 2017, 3:05 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended Storage methods of Malibou Hybrid to protect against rundown of batteries

What precautions should one take if vehicle is unattended ( parked ) for one to three months to prevent batteries from losing charge ?
Old May 29th, 2017, 7:57 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

good question. what kind of charging station do you use?

You have to be trained to do a high voltage battery disconnect so that is not the answer. However, some hybrids and ev use a set of contactors that disconnect the high voltage battery when the 12 volt battery is disconnected.

I bet the car is smart enough to know when its fully charged and stops charging on its own
.Maybe the answer is to leave it plugged in.
Is there no information in the owners manual on this?

Last edited by tech2; May 29th, 2017 at 8:05 PM.
Old May 29th, 2017, 9:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tech2
good question. what kind of charging station do you use?

You have to be trained to do a high voltage battery disconnect so that is not the answer. However, some hybrids and ev use a set of contactors that disconnect the high voltage battery when the 12 volt battery is disconnected.

I bet the car is smart enough to know when its fully charged and stops charging on its own
.Maybe the answer is to leave it plugged in.
Is there no information in the owners manual on this?
No information in the manual that I can find ---the Malibou Hybrid is self charging unlike a plug-in Volt so no charger is used - that's an advantage when there is no power supply available to do so as is my case. But it is a problem which has an explanation somehow - will have to just keep digging as longer periods of sitting in a garage will surely have some effect on the battery. The Volt has great coverage in their handling of the situation but don't find anything on the Malibou Hybrid. Thanks anyway.

Search this Thread