Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.
Old August 10th, 2015, 11:58 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Fuel and Temperature Gauge Problem

Search this Thread

Old December 23rd, 2009, 1:53 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel and Temperature Gauge Problem

Hello.
I have a 1999 Chevy Malibu, 3.1L V6
I was driving and noticed that the temperature gauge and the fuel gauge are completely dead. There is no movement at all, even when I try to start the car. I checked every possible fuse that could be related to this problem. I have read also that it could be a ground connection problem in the hood, or a resistor behind the instrument panel?
I am weary about doing anything drastic and would appreciate any help for more clarification; Mechanics are my last resort.

Any help would be appreciated,
-Joe
Old March 2nd, 2010, 2:56 AM
CF Junior Member

the gauge cluster is bad takes about 30 minutes to replace min hour labor at most garages where not all bad i only charge 40 a hour and i told you this for free on my dime besides the part is whats gonna get you most gauge clusters are $300 plus check ebay and junk yards phone first
Old March 2nd, 2010, 8:02 AM
CF Beginner

Turns out it was a fuse in the fuse block under my hood.
The instrument cluster is fine, the problem is that the 10AMP fuse slot keeps blowing the fuse. It's some sort of electrical problem.

I appreciate your response.
Old March 15th, 2010, 10:39 AM
CF Beginner

I have run into this as well. Its #37 in the fuse box under the hood. Carry a few spare fuses with you. I have a 99 that goes through about 5 fuses a year. Still tracing down the cause.........
Old March 15th, 2010, 4:13 PM
CF Beginner

i have a 2004 Malibu Chevrolet 6 cylinder and my temperature gage just stayes at the bottom as of yesterday is that the same fuse for this car and where is the fuse located.

Last edited by wanda sue; March 15th, 2010 at 4:15 PM.
Old February 13th, 2013, 11:34 AM
CF Beginner

i have a 1997 Chevrolet alumina an the fuel Gage don't move off full an the temp Gage don't move off of 100 what could it be. i really don't have money to get this fix an it not be the right thing, so if u could help an give me more ideals then i might looked over i will be very happy.....thank u for ur time it means a lot to me...
Old August 6th, 2013, 5:25 PM
CF Beginner

I signed up to share what I know about this.com my girl has a 2000 chevy malibu. We had a problem with a coolent hose so we replaced them. I wanted to check my fuses to make sure it was not the fan before I took off. I pulled the ac diode to see what it was while I was in there. Tricky little things. So after it was all said and done the engine light was on. Code said its the caming posistion sensor is out. Also.... no temp or gas gauge. At all! So I went and found fuse 37 like the guy said. It was blew. I put another fuse in. On accesory everything is fine. At the point there the starter engages the fuse blows. But I can start the car and drop the fuse in and its good again. Which makes me think its a short in the starter or something to do with the cam senser posistion. Just wanted to share... maybe someone can take it from there....
Old April 30th, 2014, 11:32 PM
CF Beginner

My fuel gauge and Temp gauge shows empty and 0 degree.
Handbrake and engin light dont come on when i turned key to ON.
Previously this two lights come on and all gauge work properly.
Please help me how to check affected fuse?
Old May 2nd, 2014, 8:25 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Malibujack
I have run into this as well. Its #37 in the fuse box under the hood. Carry a few spare fuses with you. I have a 99 that goes through about 5 fuses a year. Still tracing down the cause.........
This helps me lot same #37 fuse blown in 2003 chevy malibu. It affect fuel gauge and temp gauge.thanks buddy.
Old June 13th, 2014, 9:53 PM
CF Beginner

Default my temperature gauge in my gas gauge and my air conditioning is no airbag light is on

hello I have a 2003 Chevy Impala my temperature gauge does not come on and my gas gauge is not coming on and my air compressor is not coming on can you please tell me what is the problem

Quick Reply: Fuel and Temperature Gauge Problem