Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.
Old July 22nd, 2015, 2:36 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Transmission
Print Wikipost

How do we Check and change tansmission fluid for 2006 Malibu LT?

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2007, 2:40 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How do we Check and change tansmission fluid for 2006 Malibu LT?

I think I found check hole. Is it a 11-12mm bolt, aoubt 3-5cm above the pan, in the side of the case, parallel the passenger side axle, face the the passenger tire?

I plan to drop the pan, drain the fluid and replce the filter the first time. And then every 30k miles, I will take the the bolt with engine off. This should drain about half of the fluid out and just refill the same amount.

Thank you all.
Old May 21st, 2007, 4:11 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: How do we Check and change tansmission fluid for 2006 Malibu LT?

I just done.
I dropped the pan, drained the fluid, replaced the filter. Totally I refilled with 6.7 qts Amsoil ATF. I did the fluid level check from the check hole. Looks like the manual told us with this way.
Automatic Transaxle Complete Overhaul
Automatic Transaxle 4T45-E 6.9 qt
Thank you all.
Old May 27th, 2013, 8:27 AM
CF Beginner

Default Drain Trans oil

Hi, I have same: 06 MAxx LT, love it except for handling (wondering if I can replace the springs/shocks with SS equipment?? but that's another track)

Some qts on trans fluid change since I do just about everything myself.

1. IS the only way to "drain" the fluid to carefully drop the pan with spilling it all over the place?
2. Fill the trans through that level plug hole on the right side?

I've got 95K on the car, was a Hertz rental up to about 35K , don't know if the trans fluid has ever been changed.

3. Is it bad to flush the trans fluid at 95k???
4. HOW TO FLUSH to the fluid from the converter?

Thanks !

Will
Old June 22nd, 2015, 6:36 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2006 malibu transmission

If you open the hood and lean over the fender, on the drivers side, and look down. You will see a screw cap, with a gear embossed on it. Now I unscrewed it and with the engine off stuck my baby finger in the hole, and pulled it out. Now my finger is about 2 1/2" long and the fluid was about 1/2" up on my finger. It was pinkish and really had no odor. I don't know if it was the correct level, but the colour and smell seemed ok for me. Years ago I know you could take a sample of your engine oil and have it analyzed to see if it was ok. Anyone know of a place where you could have the transmission fluid checked?.
Ok I took some pictures but, ah they are upside down.
Attached Thumbnails  How do we Check and change tansmission fluid for 2006 Malibu LT?-img_00000447.jpg    How do we Check and change tansmission fluid for 2006 Malibu LT?-img_00000444.jpg    How do we Check and change tansmission fluid for 2006 Malibu LT?-img_00000445.jpg  
Old November 7th, 2016, 5:25 PM
CF Beginner

Default You DO NOT have a 2006 Chevrolet malibu running to check transmission fluid.

Originally Posted by MalibuMaxxSS
correct.....they are 'no maintence' trannies, you dont touch them unless something breaks, If you feel you must, there is a procedure, and I do mean procedure.....

you need a level hoist or some way to get under the car while it is running and level, get teh car to operating temp.....raise it, go under on the right hand side of the transaxle there is a drain plug, with the car RUNNING, remove this plug fluid should just trickle out of it....if the car is cold it will pour out of it.....bear in mind if you change your own fluid and not take it in to have it flushed it will NOT drain the torque converter, thus all that fluid is recycled with the 4.7 litres you put in.......oh ya it takes about 4.7 litres for just the tranny, most likely be easier for you to pay the hour shop rate and have them do it....then you get all 11 litres changed make sure you tell them to flush it.

PLEASE NO ONE have your car running when you check the transmission fluid. In normal cars with dipsticks you Do have it running, but DO NOT have have the car running when you check it on a 2006 malibu 2.2
Old November 8th, 2016, 8:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by Jacob Conner
PLEASE NO ONE have your car running when you check the transmission fluid. In normal cars with dipsticks you Do have it running, but DO NOT have have the car running when you check it on a 2006 malibu 2.2
this is wrong.
if you open the check plug with the engine off...you will lose more than the proper amount.
with the engine off the t/c drains down; raising the fluid at the check plug.

with the engine running and at the proper temperature to open the upper sump...any fluid that flows out of the plug hole is from a overfill condition...when it stops draining when running...its at the proper level.
Old June 15th, 2017, 1:37 AM
CF Beginner

Default Answer

Originally Posted by leshan
Thank you for your reply.
You mean there is no way to check the transmission fluid on my 2006 Malibu LT?

I plan to pull off the pan, drain the fluid and replace the filter every 30k mlies myselft. But the problem is I do not know how much fluid should I refill after pulling the pan.

Typicaly you would fill as much as you empty. However they are maintance free so dont need to be touched unless something is wrong
Old June 15th, 2017, 1:40 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by leshan
Thank you for your reply.
You mean there is no way to check the transmission fluid on my 2006 Malibu LT?

I plan to pull off the pan, drain the fluid and replace the filter every 30k mlies myselft. But the problem is I do not know how much fluid should I refill after pulling the pan.
It is mainance free. Does not need to be serviced unless something goes wrong. But if you still insist on changing fluid put in as much as you take out
Old June 15th, 2017, 8:02 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

manufacturers are trying to promote maintenance free vehicles as a selling point.
IMO trans fluid should never be filled for life. Fluid life is temperature dependent. Trans fluid deteriorates, detergents wear out. There will be particulates circulating from initial assembly, clutch disc wear. depth filters do not filter 100%.

Most drivers fall into the severe maintenance schedule anyways...if you do...the manufacturer recommends changing the fluid.