Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

Hybrid or turbo?

Search this Thread

Old September 14th, 2017, 4:08 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hybrid or turbo?

I am in the market to get rid of my 15 Sierra 5.3.
I don't use it enough to justify the cost I would really like a new malibu which fits my wants and needs the best. I found a 2.0 with every option I want but the hybrid gas milage seems appealing. I was going someone found help me figure it out.

My drive to work is 7 miles most days I am just to and from work but with a few stops on the way. I drive less than 10k miles a year but would likely drive more if my gas mileage was better. Since my wife has an suv.

I don't know anything about hybrids but I am considering this one. What are the cons to the hybrid? Does it need charging? Does it use both motors at the same time or only the electric until it runs out of stored power?

Thank you
Chad
Old September 14th, 2017, 7:57 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

resale value....... on used hybrids is zero...no one wants them used. If you are ok getting next to nothing for a trade in, get the hybrid.
cost of the replacement batteries off warranty will be more than the purchase price of the entire vehicle....$35 000 plus.
I would never buy a hybrid or ev.

you don't drive enough to warrant it imo. a direct injection turbo gets great mileage...especially when you stay out of boost...but ya can't cause its fun. if you never had a car with boost...get one.