Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

Key gets stuck in the ignition!

Search this Thread

Old August 24th, 2015, 2:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Key gets stuck in the ignition!

On a 2003 Chevrolet Malibu after I stop somewhere the key gets stuck maybe 2/5 of the time. I can turn the car off, but it stays in some sort of early accessory mode.

It's clearly an issue with the Park lock mechanism, where the key is not allowed to come out unless the car is in Park.

I seem to be able to release it by wiggling the shifter, and this works maybe 75% of the time, but other times no amount of wiggling will get it, so what I've been doing is just letting it rest for about an hour, and then when I come back the wiggling seems to work. It could all be a placebo fiction though and have nothing to do with it.

Does anyone know how the park lock works? Is it electrical or mechanical? What can I do to increase the chances of getting the key out quickly?

Any help greatly appreciated.
Old August 24th, 2015, 4:15 PM
CF Active Member

Maybe you have some kind of dirt blocking the ignition opening.
Or maybe the ignition lock cylinder is damaged?
Old August 24th, 2015, 4:32 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

How about trying some lock lube graphite in the ignition keyhole.
Old August 24th, 2015, 5:04 PM
CF Beginner

When the lock mechanism is released the key comes out easily, if it was dirt or damage to the cylinder this part would behave erratically, but it does not.

I cannot physically turn the key to the left-most option where it can be removed when the car is not in park. The problem is that the car is in park, but somehow on occasion the cylinder doesn't realize this.

What I don't understand is how the rest of the car knows it's in park, but the cylinder does not. There is sure to be a wire connecting the shifter to the cylinder, but I don't know if this is an electrical wire that relies on a sensor, or some sort of mechanical wire that is twists inside when in park.

If it does rely on a sensor, what could cause this sensor to malfunction? If only I had the repair manual, but they want money for it heh.