Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

Low idle stalling after fueling up

Search this Thread

Old February 8th, 2016, 10:12 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low idle stalling after fueling up

Hello, I have a 06 Malibu LT 2.2L. I will fill up until the fuel pump shuts off. When I start to pull away the RPMs will jump up and down and will stall out unless I keep the foot on the gas. If I keep my foot on the gas and get on the highway I will not have any issues, but if I drive around down and start and stop it will stall out after I let off the gas. I also found out that if I leave the gas cap off after filling up, there are no issues with it stalling out. Thanks!
Old February 8th, 2016, 7:50 PM
CF Veteran

any codes? good chance your evap purge solenoid may be leaking vacuum when it shouldn't be
Old February 8th, 2016, 8:03 PM
CF Beginner

No codes
Old February 8th, 2016, 8:30 PM
CF Beginner

is this what you are talking about?
2006 Chevy Malibu Vapor Canister Purge Valve for L4 2.2L at 1A Auto.com
Old February 9th, 2016, 9:47 PM
CF Veteran

yea that would be it, usually there is a code also but for that symptom it'd be the first thing I'd check
Old February 11th, 2016, 11:01 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by sweetm
Hello, I have a 06 Malibu LT 2.2L. I will fill up until the fuel pump shuts off. When I start to pull away the RPMs will jump up and down and will stall out unless I keep the foot on the gas. If I keep my foot on the gas and get on the highway I will not have any issues, but if I drive around down and start and stop it will stall out after I let off the gas. I also found out that if I leave the gas cap off after filling up, there are no issues with it stalling out. Thanks!
Hey sweetm,

Have you been to your local certified Chevrolet dealership to have your Malibu vehicle concerns diagnosed? If not, I can reach out to them on your behalf as an extra layer of assistance. If you would like to proceed, please send your full contact information, VIN, current mileage, and the name of your preferred dealership.

Best,
Cecil J.
Chevrolet Customer Care