Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

Lower right side engine mount

Search this Thread

Old March 13th, 2016, 7:44 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lower right side engine mount

Hello I am in the process of removing passenger side lower control arm on a 05 Malibu LS 3.5. The Haynes manual says to remove engine mount to make room for removal of long bolt holding in control arm. This is where I am stuck I can not figure how to get the engine mount out. The book does not give any details. I have the engine supported by a floor jack and wood. I thought about jacking engine up so bracket clear studs but does not seem right Please give some advise Can the bracket be removed referring to the one the 2 studs from engine mount are going through. Thanks...

Old March 14th, 2016, 6:00 AM
CF Beginner

Looks as though I joined the wrong forum where no one bothers to help. Scanning past posts there are ones with thousands of views and one reply. What gives?
Old March 14th, 2016, 4:35 PM
CF Active Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Have never done this but it looks to me like the rubber block needs to be removed or moved in order to get the long bolt out. Looks pretty close to me like you might try prying bolt out with pry bar. Hard to tell without being there. Good luck. I think someone will eventually answer your question!
Old March 14th, 2016, 7:22 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by bearbait
Have never done this but it looks to me like the rubber block needs to be removed or moved in order to get the long bolt out. Looks pretty close to me like you might try prying bolt out with pry bar. Hard to tell without being there. Good luck. I think someone will eventually answer your question!
Thanks for the reply I tried the prying thing almost seems like it could be done if there was a 1/4'' to spare. My question is does the engine have to be lifted up and over the studs that are attached to the motor mount or is there a bracket that has to be removed.
Old March 14th, 2016, 8:17 PM
CF Active Member

Question

I'm not sure but it looks like the bolts go thru rubber mount. Is it possible to lift engine slightly and wiggle block enough out of way. another possibility is to take pressure off of a-frame and possibly wiggling bolt out. Can't believe you must take mount completely out. Another way would be to cut head off bolt and put new bolt in from other direction(if possible)

Last edited by bearbait; March 14th, 2016 at 8:22 PM. Reason: mistake
Old March 14th, 2016, 8:35 PM
CF Active Member

Just checked. There is either 2 or 4 bolts holding mount to frame. 2 bolt mount has 1 bolt front and back with bolts accessible from bottom (nuts molded in mount). 4 bolt mount has 2 front,2back, with nuts accessible from bottom (bolts molded in mount) also. possibly if loosened mount will wiggle enough to get bolt out. If you weren't so far away I would come over and do it.LOL Love a challenge!