Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

malibu engine swap questions..

Search this Thread

Old June 21st, 2011, 9:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default malibu engine swap questions..

ok guys im new here so be gentle.. lol to start off I have alot of mechanical experiance, so Im "up to doing" the swap. I just want to know if im going to get into a huge can of worms..

here are the details

I have grandma's old 1999 chevy malibu its got 68K on it and its super clean and nice, with the exception that the rear taillights are shoved up to the back glass, you get the picture right, anyway I was wanting to buy a malibu with a bad engine so I can put some of my parts to use, I have the 3.1 thats in grannys ride to work with and its free, I have found a couple of 1999 malibu's that are 4 cyl cars and I wanted to see how hard the swap would be, im not looking for a hotrod just a decent family car.

I checked a few things w/ the wrecking yard interchange, according to hollender the engine cradle, the axles, radiator, cluster, fuel pump are all interchangeable, I know the transmission wont work, and the computer and probably the engine wire harness, but anyone know of other glaring issues I need to know about. grannys car is compleate , and so would the car that I buy so in theroy Ill have everything I need , i just would like to know if Ill have to change the under dash wiring , fuel lines exhaust ect.

I know lots of people are down on the 3100and they favor the 3800, but i have the 31000 to work with already... any insight guys? thanks Shawn