Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

My AC Blinks off and On Help

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2008, 6:14 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My AC Blinks off and On Help

I have a 1999 Malibu, Its been great so far, But while I am driving slow, my AC will be on and I see the light, then it will turn off. Then switch to cycle with the outside air. So It goes from cold, to hot air. I live in Houston So I need to to stcik on the AC and not come off. When thatheppens I can feel the enhine stutter..when I am driving over 50 mph it will stick 90% of the time. Does anyone know what to do? I am a girl with no clue, is it an electrical problem, compressor? Thanks
Old May 15th, 2008, 6:04 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: My AC Blinks off and On Help

I had the same problem in my 00 Bu. The light and a/c would go on then turn off every minute of so, and like you, I was getting very annoyed and pissed off about it cutting out... To fix the problem, I took the car to a local shop, and had them recharge the system... It fixed the problem, and now my a/c works perfectly!!!
Old May 16th, 2008, 2:13 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

yea it does sound like the refrigerant might be low
Old June 2nd, 2008, 9:27 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the problem is the hvac control head common problem with this car
Old June 3rd, 2008, 3:09 PM
CF Beginner

KTM I tried to pm not sure if it worked. I have the same problem and agree it is the hvac control. I had the system "recharged" but it did not fix the issue. Do you know what fixing the control entails?? Is it a simple fix with the correct parts? I have done some simple electrical work on the car just would like to know if I could do it. Thanks for any help.....
Old June 6th, 2008, 3:50 PM
CF Beginner

I had the same problem with my 97. After paying about $300 each time to have it fixed I googled it and found step by step instructions with pictures. I fixed it myself last time for free. It involves pulling the AC controls out of the dash & cleaning the PCB with alcohol. I will look to see if I still have the url & will post it if I do.
Old June 6th, 2008, 3:59 PM
CF Beginner

Try this... http://www.imcool.com/articles/airco...Repairable.pdf

Old June 6th, 2008, 4:29 PM
CF Beginner

thanks slong...I do not know much butcleaning the contactsmakes sense to me. Does not seem difficult at all, I have taken the dash apart many times so it should not take very long to at least give it a shot and see if it works. Money isn't the issue I just hate dropping it off at the shop when it is something easy to fix that I may be able to do myself.
Old June 6th, 2008, 6:03 PM
CF Beginner

Took about 20 mins to take it apart clean it up and put it back together. Screwed everything back together and went out to run a few errands for about a hour. Never blinked once. So knock on wood, maybe cleaning the contacts and putting on a thin coat of graphite worked. A normal hour of driving with the AC on 2 or 3 it would be blinking on and off a dozen times as it did this morning before I read the above link.
Old June 7th, 2008, 7:56 PM
CF Beginner

ok maybe i spoke a little too soon. So I did everything that the pdf link said to do and put everything back together. AC has been working without a hitch. BUT now I am unable to switch the vents from which the cold air comes out of ie just the floor vents, dash vents, both vents, or the defrost, etc. The dial moves but does not make the change. So I have air coming out of both floor and dash vents. I put everything back together how I took it all apart. The only thing that confused me is this rubber spacer and 'washer' type of ring that goes over it on the rear of that dial. I tried both ways putting it back together and still nothing. Any ideas?????????????

Quick Reply: My AC Blinks off and On Help