Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

My Malibu Woes

Search this Thread

Old August 20th, 2007, 6:16 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Malibu Woes

I thought I would share with you my service history on my 2003 Malibu.

August 2003 2002 miles Fuel Gauge erratic Replaced Fuel sensor
October 2004 19335 miles Car Idles rough Clean fuel injectors
April 2005 26341 miles Rattle noise from front end Replaced both L/R upper strut mounts
August 2005 31450 miles A/C light blinks, AC cuts out. Replaced HVAC control assembly
September 2005 32544 miles Engine cranks, won't start (required tow) Reprogram theft learn
November 2005 34214 miles L/F door speaker noisy Replaced speaker
June 200643063 miles Rattle noise from front end Replaced Left front strut and mount
August 2006 46191 miles Fan does not work on low speed Replaced Resistor
July 2007 58707 miles Remote mirrors won't operate Replaced faulty switch

August 2007 61272 miles 1. Rattling noise from front end Struts and mounts on order 8/20
2. A/C light blinks, a/c cuts out Replaced HVAC control assembly
3. directional signals failReplaced Hazard switch

As you can see, I have had quite a history with this car and the service department has the gall to get mad at me if I get cocky with them. I am so glad I purchased the GMPP, or I would have been up the creek. 3 times for struts and mounts is outrageous. I have all the service invoices for everything listed above and I am holding on to them. If they replaced the struts and mounts every 20,000 miles and my GMPP runs out at 68,000 miles, what am I going to do when the strut mounts fail again at 80,000 miles. Does anyone know if my history above qualifies under the NJ Lemon Law ?

Old August 22nd, 2007, 11:10 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: My Malibu Woes

sorry for your woes so to speak, but getting snotty with the service tech does not help trust me, these guys listen to it day in and day out, and after 12345 people spouting off at tehm daily I would tell someone to go F themselves to,

They dont build them, they are trying to help you, and people come in shooting their mouth off like its the service writers fault the roads are **** wehre you live and its hard on struts...maybe ask nicely next time say please you may get more help from them, they dont build them nor do I, one thing I do know THEY ALL break down. as for the lemon law I seriously doubt it, your car is 5 years old now.....

and 3 problems in 05 and 2 problems in 06 dont exactly qualify for a 'lemon car'
Old August 22nd, 2007, 12:39 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you MalibuMaxxSS for your reply, however when I stated I was getting cocky with them, I didn't mean I was yelling or mouthing off at them. When the service tech told me I needed struts and mounts again (for the third time) I simply said in a smooth calm voice "You do realize that this is the third time for struts and mounts" and he kind of mouthed off at me as if he was saying "Well what do you want me to do about it ?"

I do realize that they don't build the cars, but they should be upfront with the customer and tell them "Yes, these Malibu's do have a design flaw in them and are subject to alot of problems." That's just my opinion. I am just worried about my GMPP that expires in 7000 miles. What's going to happen whenfront suspension fails again ?
Old August 22nd, 2007, 3:36 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

its not a design Flaw, if your roads are anything like the ones here, LOL struts getting over 30,000km is AWSOME, maybe its your roads, maybe its driving habits, I have not heard of the Malibu struts haveing issues, brakes now that is a different story, and If you worried about after the GMPP runs out, well I dont beleive it goes over 5 years anyhow, so that will be up pretty quick as well....