Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

need help changing transmission fluid

Search this Thread

Old July 28th, 2018, 11:53 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation need help changing transmission fluid

Today I jacked my car up and leveled it. I opened the transmission fluid plug and let as much fluid as I could out. Then screwed the plug back in. Ran the car for like 10 minutes. Looked online and saw that in order to check the level you have to open another plug that is located LFCV axel. I checked that and some fluid started to drain. I let it finish then plugged it in. My step-dad still saw that the fluid was black so we emptied the transmission fluid again but this time did not check the level. I got about 5.80 quarts or a bit less in. Later that day I put half a quart of fluid in it again. So far no lights are on and everything seems fine. Should I redo it again or take it to a sho[p to do it properly?
Old July 29th, 2018, 12:01 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Meyer
Today I jacked my car up and leveled it. I opened the transmission fluid plug and let as much fluid as I could out. Then screwed the plug back in. Ran the car for like 10 minutes. Looked online and saw that in order to check the level you have to open another plug that is located LFCV axel. I checked that and some fluid started to drain. I let it finish then plugged it in. My step-dad still saw that the fluid was black so we emptied the transmission fluid again but this time did not check the level. I got about 5.80 quarts or a bit less in. Later that day I put half a quart of fluid in it again. So far no lights are on and everything seems fine. Should I redo it again or take it to a sho[p to do it properly?
Nah just get it level and the fluid hot with motor running. Pull the level plug, and let it drain out to the bottom or add fluid in the vent cap. Close it up and you are good to go. Did you use Dexron VI transmission fluid?
Old July 29th, 2018, 12:25 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes I used dex 6 the only thing I would be worried about is the transmission fluid level. Thankfully no lights and it runs like normal. Minus the fact the the previous at fluid was so black I though the police were going to try to shoot it
Old July 29th, 2018, 2:36 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Meyer
Yes I used dex 6 the only thing I would be worried about is the transmission fluid level. Thankfully no lights and it runs like normal. Minus the fact the the previous at fluid was so black I though the police were going to try to shoot it
There is no warning light for low transmission fluid levels on the Malibu, or most vehicles for that matter. I suggest that you drop the Dex 6 again in one year or 20,000/25,000 miles.

Unfortunately Chevrolet and other vehicle manufacturers, have done away with the dipstick and removable fluid filter, so the best way to keep your 6T40 running smoothly is to change the fluid more often.

I have heard that there is an inline fluid filter that can be installed on one of the radiator coolant fluid lines, so I am checking into that, as well as installing an air-cooler into the vehicle as well. The 2.5 liter Malibu will get fantastic gas-mileage, well beyond what the new car tag says it will.