Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

Power Steering failure

Search this Thread

Old March 15th, 2018, 4:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering failure

So I was taking my daughter to skating practice on Tuesday, I started my Malibu and immediately a message pops up about power steering on the instrument panel and the steering wheel was difficult to move, I decided that it was probably not safe to drive and we stayed home. Later that evening I started the car and there were no warning messages and the steering felt manageable, so I took the Malibu to my mechanic whom I trust and have been going to for years. The next day, Wednesday, our mechanic says that the problem that I am experiencing is something he has seen a few times and is part of a "recall" and I should take it to a Chevy dealership. So I did, but the dealership ran some diagnostic tests and said the loss of power steering that I am having is not involved with the recall and said that the repairs were going to cost me over $1,000....I was not prepared for that, so again I called my mechanic and he was shocked to hear the news because the problems that I am experiencing are exactly what is described in a Special Coverage Adjustment for 2007-2012 Malibu's and other customers that he has had with the exact same issues had their Malibu repaired without any problems from the dealerships.... Now today, Thursday when I start the car the warnings appear on the panel and the wheel takes a lot of effort to turn, however i have found that if I restart a couple of times the warning lights go away and the steering is better, but it does not feel right, I can feel and hear vibrations in the wheel as I'm driving....I am very frustrated....how us it that I am experiencing the exact same issues that are described in a document that Chevrolet has published and the repairs that are needed for my vehicle to operate safely are not covered!

Help or advice please
Old March 15th, 2018, 4:26 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

What color is the fluid?
Old March 15th, 2018, 4:33 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
What color is the fluid?
it is electronic power steering there is no fluid to check
Old April 26th, 2018, 5:12 PM
CF Beginner

My 07 dI'd that for awhile. There was a recall on the power steering and I had it fixed twice but still came back. Recently took it to a mechanic and he was able to replace the whole column or assembly. Cant remember exaclty. Haven't had an issue since.
Old April 26th, 2018, 8:52 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy Lassitter
So I was taking my daughter to skating practice on Tuesday, I started my Malibu and immediately a message pops up about power steering on the instrument panel and the steering wheel was difficult to move, I decided that it was probably not safe to drive and we stayed home. Later that evening I started the car and there were no warning messages and the steering felt manageable, so I took the Malibu to my mechanic whom I trust and have been going to for years. The next day, Wednesday, our mechanic says that the problem that I am experiencing is something he has seen a few times and is part of a "recall" and I should take it to a Chevy dealership. So I did, but the dealership ran some diagnostic tests and said the loss of power steering that I am having is not involved with the recall and said that the repairs were going to cost me over $1,000....I was not prepared for that, so again I called my mechanic and he was shocked to hear the news because the problems that I am experiencing are exactly what is described in a Special Coverage Adjustment for 2007-2012 Malibu's and other customers that he has had with the exact same issues had their Malibu repaired without any problems from the dealerships.... Now today, Thursday when I start the car the warnings appear on the panel and the wheel takes a lot of effort to turn, however i have found that if I restart a couple of times the warning lights go away and the steering is better, but it does not feel right, I can feel and hear vibrations in the wheel as I'm driving....I am very frustrated....how us it that I am experiencing the exact same issues that are described in a document that Chevrolet has published and the repairs that are needed for my vehicle to operate safely are not covered!

Help or advice please
find out what the document number is for the special coverage.
Old April 29th, 2018, 4:44 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy Lassitter
it is electronic power steering there is no fluid to check
Lookup the recall online. Then let the dealer know about it or find other Chevy dealer. I thought they got the bugs out of electric steering back in 07-08. The Colbalt had a recall on them. Luckily my 15 Malibu is working fine. Its nice not having another pump running off the serpentine belt, like the hydraulic power steering system did.