Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

Reduced Engine Power

Search this Thread

Old December 4th, 2017, 10:05 PM
Newly Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reduced Engine Power

2016 Chevrolet Malibu. My car has been in the shop 5 times because of this issue, it only has 40000 mile on it. It started at around 20000 miles. The dealership keeps saying that they can not find anything. I am done and am about to lemon law it. Let me also state that OnStar has pulled the same code every time. This is just ridiculous. At 33000 miles they had to pretty much rebuild the motor cause a piston disintegrated.

Last edited by cattlegirl7; December 4th, 2017 at 10:11 PM.
Old December 6th, 2017, 6:08 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by cattlegirl7
2016 Chevrolet Malibu. My car has been in the shop 5 times because of this issue, it only has 40000 mile on it. It started at around 20000 miles. The dealership keeps saying that they can not find anything. I am done and am about to lemon law it. Let me also state that OnStar has pulled the same code every time. This is just ridiculous. At 33000 miles they had to pretty much rebuild the motor cause a piston disintegrated.
Sorry to hear about this, but its very common. Due to federal fuel economy CAFE standards, many vehicle manufacturers are using all kinds of tricks to increase
gas mileage. The latest is to use a very small displacement motor and boost it with a turbocharger. The GM 1.5 liter is such an engine. You will likely have issues for the life of the vehicle, unfortunately.

Personally I'd dump the car and go to a Chevy Malibu with the 2.5 non-turbocharged, or the 2.0 turbocharged motor. Both are more reliable then the 1.5 liter engine. I have the 2.5 liter and its been a great engine. No piston issues and no turbo to cause problems. Pulls 40 MPG at 70 MPH too. Still has LOTS of power when I need it.
Old March 30th, 2018, 9:30 AM
mrw
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm currently going through the same problems with our 2016 Malibu. We bought the car used from dealer with 20,000 miles on it, reduced engine power mode warning came on 6 weeks later, dealership said it was a oil pressure valve stuck open and reset it. Two months later it did it again but this time my wife was on the highway going 75 and the car slowed down to 50mph and wouldn't go any faster. This time the dealer said it was because the car was a QT low on oil, though they couldn't tell us why. Two months after that it happened again with actual reduced power and this time they had to swap out the engine due to cylinder damage. Two months after that it has happened again, this time they said it was a faulty accelerator pedal sensor. 4 times in 8 months is not a great start to owning a GM vehicle. I'm trying to talk to GM and the dealer about taking this vehicle back but they are giving me the run around.